White Sox GM says Melky did the time for his crime, so lay off

24 Comments
source: AP
Melky Cabrera

Fun fact: while many of the baseball writers you know wring their hands over PED guys in baseball, actual baseball people are pretty realistic about it and, it seems anyway, don’t really care all that much.

Take Rick Hahn, White Sox GM, and his comments about Melky Cabrera and his PED past:

“No one condones what he did, but we are talking about a mistake that he made and took ownership for and showed honest remorse about from three seasons ago,” Hahn said. “He’s already gone through the understandable and deserved public scrutiny, and has not hidden from his past actions.

“Frankly, I respect the fact that he accepted and served his penalty and lived with the consequences and has done his best to put it behind him. Obviously, (the MLB drug) policy allows for not only the suspension and the punishment, but also the redemption. Melky has performed at the highest level on the other side of this issue, and we’re optimistic he’ll continue to perform at that level going forward.”

 

I’m sure someone, however, will tell us that we have no idea what to expect from Cabrera going forward given his sordid past.

In other news, go read the story at that link, which talks about how the White Sox changed their offseason plans and decided to chuck their previously agreed-on budget precisely because fans got excited when they started signing guys last week. Interesting stuff.

Players’ offer reportedly not going over well with owners

Rob Manfred
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Last night it was reported that the Players Union had made an offer to Major League Baseball and the owners regarding plans for a 2020 season. The offer, which was in part counteroffer to the owners’ previous offer, part new proposals of its own, involved a 114-game season with an end date on October 31, a playoff expansion for two years, the right for players to opt out of the season over health concerns, and a potential deferral of 2020 salaries if the postseason were to be canceled.

How’s that sitting with the owners? Not great, folks.

Evan Drellich of The Athletic reported this morning that the owners want a shorter schedule than the 114 games the players proposed, likely because they want to increase the odds that they can get to a postseason before a potential second wave COVID-19 outbreak occurs, as many experts expect it will. The owners also, not surprisingly, still want salary reductions, which the players have not addressed due to their contention that the matter was settled. Drellich says that the players’ offer “hasn’t been rejected yet but that’s inevitable.”

Bob Klapisch of the Newark Star-Ledger is more blunt:

The sides are, as Drellich notes, still talking. It would appear, however, that the owners tack of negotiating through the media is continuing on as well.