It’s official: The Blue Jays like pretty much everyone for their CEO position. ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick has the latest name Toronto is considering:
The Toronto Blue Jays have expressed interest in Mike Rizzo, the Washington Nationals president of baseball operations and general manager, as a candidate to replace Paul Beeston as team president and CEO, two industry sources told ESPN.com.
Rizzo joins Baltimore’s Dan Duquette, Minnesota’s Terry Ryan and Kenny Williams of the Chicago White Sox as the latest baseball executive to be mentioned as a possibility to succeed Beeston, whose future with the Toronto organization has been shrouded in mystery of late.
Rizzo could not be reached for comment Saturday.
News that the Blue Jays were looking for a replacement for Beeston first surfaced last weekend, but Bob Elliott of the Toronto Sun later reported that they plan to keep him around as team president for at least one more year. Still, it’s rather curious that the chatter is continuing. Beeston, who was actually the team’s first employee in 1976, is currently in his second stint as team president/CEO.
Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com hears that the Nationals have not been contacted by the Blue Jays about Rizzo, who has been the team’s general manager since 2009. He was signed to an extension last year and promoted to the position of president of baseball operations and general manager.
PITTSBURGH — The New York Mets will have to dig out of an early-season hole without star first baseman Pete Alonso.
The leading home run hitter in the majors will miss three-to-four weeks with a bone bruise and a sprain in his left wrist.
The Mets placed Alonso on the 10-day injured list Friday, retroactive to June 8. Alonso was hit in the wrist by a 96 mph fastball from Charlie Morton in the first inning of a 7-5 loss to Atlanta on Wednesday.
Alonso traveled to New York for testing on Thursday. X-rays revealed no broken bones, but the Mets will be missing one of the premier power hitters in the game as they try to work their way back into contention in the NL East.
“We got better news than it could have been,” New York manager Buck Showalter said. “So we take that as a positive. It could have been worse.”
New York had lost six straight heading into a three-game series at Pittsburgh that began Friday. Mark Canha started at first for the Mets in the opener. Mark Vientos could also be an option, though Showalter said the coaching staff may have to use its “imagination” in thinking of ways to get by without Alonso.
“I’m not going to say someone has to step up and all that stuff,” Showalter said. “You’ve just got to be who you are.”
Even with Alonso in the lineup, the Mets have struggled to score consistently. New York is 16th in the majors in runs scored.
The team also said Friday that reliever Edwin Uceta had surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his left knee. Uceta initially went on the IL in April with what the team called a sprained left ankle. He is expected to be out for at least an additional eight weeks.
New York recalled infielder Luis Guillorme and left-handed reliever Zach Muckenhirn from Triple-A Syracuse. The Mets sent catcher Tomás Nido to Triple-A and designated reliever Stephen Nogosek for assignment.
Nogosek is 0-1 with a 5.63 ERA in 13 games this season.