Red Sox president Larry Lucchino “disappointed” in failure to sign Jon Lester

38 Comments

Red Sox president Larry Lucchino said of his team’s failure to sign then-free agent Jon Lester, “we’re disappointed” and “certainly have regrets”, reports John Tomase of the Boston Herald. Lester inked a six-year, $155 million contract with the Cubs earlier this week. The Red Sox had gone as high as $135 million over six years, which is two more years and $65 million more than they had offered Lester back in March.

“If he would have accepted [the $135 million offer], we’d have been very pleased,” Lucchino said.

Once Lester was off the market, the Red Sox signed Justin Masterson to a one-year deal worth $9.5 million, acquired Wade Miley in a trade with the Diamondbacks, and traded with the Tigers for Rick Porcello. As a result, the starting rotation is now set, but the Red Sox could still make an upgrade by moving a pitcher. Jon Morosi of FOX Sports suggests that Phillies ace Cole Hamels would still be a target if they can move Joe Kelly in such a deal.

Video: Jackie Bradley Jr. climbs wall to rob Luis Urías of homer

Billie Weiss/Boston Red Sox/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Red Sox center fielder Jackie Bradley Jr. scaled the center field fence to rob Padres shortstop Luis Urías of a solo home run in the fourth inning of Sunday afternoon’s game. Urías was trying to take advantage of a 0-1 slider from Ryan Brasier. Had Bradley not made the grab, the Padres’ lead would have been extended to 4-1.

Unfortunately for the Red Sox, they weren’t able to take advantage of Bradley’s effort, dropping Sunday’s contest 3-1. They still won the series against the Padres, however. The Sox will continue their road trip for two games against the Rockies followed by three versus the Angels.