Buster Olney has already announced that he is boycotting the Hall of Fame vote this year in protest of the arbitrary 10-vote rule. Add another voter to the protest: Lynn Henning of the Detroit News:
Some are being shut out by an, at best, antiquated, and at worst, perverse, ballot that for indefensibly arbitrary reasons says I can vote for 10 men only.
And so, after considerable thought and after one man’s earnest efforts for the past year to rid voters of this man-made obstruction to simple justice went nowhere, I’ve decided, no.
No more participation in a deeply flawed, abjectly negative exercise. There is no dignity in deciding among 13 worthy Hall of Famers which three are less worthy than the 10 whom some people, at some former time, decided must be my quota for a given year.
Last year Henning voted for a full slate of ten and reluctantly left some good names. Now, he has decided, not to play that game.
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. – The Tampa Bay Rays are relocating their spring base for 2023 due to extensive damage to team training facilities caused by Hurricane Ian.
The Rays have trained since 2009 in Port Charlotte, Florida, about 90 minutes south of St. Petersburg, and intend to explore several options before making a decision on where to hold spring training and play Grapefruit League games when camp opens.
The team and Charlotte County released a joint statement Thursday, saying damage to Charlotte Sports Park in Port Charlotte can’t be repaired in time to host games this winter.
“Charlotte County supports the Rays efforts to secure alternative accommodations for 2023 spring training,” the statement said.
“We are all disappointed for the residents of Charlotte County and the fans there. The community is in the thoughts and hearts of the Rays, and the team will continue to support recovery efforts,” the statement added. “The Rays and Charlotte County intend to develop a restoration plan for Charlotte Sports Park in the coming weeks.”