Major League Baseball just announced an executive reorganization. A big part of it is the elevation of Bob Bowman of MLBAM who, as we noted yesterday, is taking over all business operations of MLB and has the new title “MLB’s President, Business & Media.”
Others, already in lace, get snappier, more media-friendly titles:
- Pat Courtney, MLB’s Senior Vice President for Public Relations becomes Chief Communications Officer;
- Dan Halem, Executive Vice President for Labor Relations, becomes Chief Legal Officer;
- Jonathan Mariner, currently Executive Vice President, Finance & Chief Financial Officer, becomes Chief Investment Officer;
- Tony Petitti, President & CEO of MLB Network, is now Chief Operations Officer;
- A new hire — Bob Starkey — becomes Chief Financial Officer & Senior Advisor. He has long advised MLB from his private consultancy, however; and
- Joe Torre, Executive Vice President for Baseball Operations becomes its Chief Baseball Officer.
Viva streamlining. And calling Joe Torre “CBO” whenever he is in the news for some disciplinary action or some inexplicable and farkakte interpretation of a rule.