Must-click link: Curt Schilling says “I brought all of this on myself”

26 Comments

Curt Schilling could’ve died from cancer and all of the attendant complications. He lost $50 million of his own money, cost the State of Rhode Island even more and messed up the lives of all of the employees of his video game company. And he doesn’t want an ounce of sympathy from anyone:

“I brought this on myself,” Schilling said in a lengthy interview in Kansas City earlier this week. “For the last two years I’ve had to stand in front of my wife and kids and explain to them, ‘I lost $50 million and my company went bankrupt, and it was all my fault.’

“Then I had to stand in front of them and tell them, ‘I have cancer because I dipped.’

Those comments come in the course of this article from Jackie MacMullan of ESPN Boston, which explains just how bad Schilling’s cancer diagnosis and treatment was. Many aspects of it, including the cancer itself, infections, and depression which required hospitalization, could’ve killed him. It’s amazingly harrowing stuff, involving excruciating pain, feeding tubes and hallucinations. To this day, even though he’s on the mend, he can’t eat in public because he can’t swallow properly. He mostly consumes Ensure and Boost because he can ingest it quickly.

Maybe the craziest part is what Schilling says about smokeless tobacco, which is what caused his cancer:

He does not plan to canvass the country serving as a cautionary tale of the dangers of smokeless tobacco. That, he feels, would be hypocritical.

“I still want the stuff,” Schilling said. “Right now. But the beautiful thing for me is my salivary glands have been destroyed by the radiation, so I can’t. I’ve wanted to dip a couple of times, but I literally can’t.”

Take some time out and read this story today.

 

No lease extension, but O’s and governor tout partnership

orioles camden yards
Daniel Shirey/Getty Images
0 Comments

The Baltimore Orioles and Maryland Gov. Wes Moore announced a joint commitment to what they called a “multi-decade, public-private partnership” to revitalize the Camden Yards sports complex.

The statement from the team and the state’s new governor came Wednesday, the deadline for the Orioles to exercise a one-time, five-year extension to their lease at Camden Yards. The team was not planning to exercise that option, according to a person with knowledge of the decision. The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the club hadn’t announced its decision.

With no extension, the lease is set to expire at the end of this year, but the team and the Maryland Stadium Authority can keep negotiating. Wednesday’s joint release seemed to be an attempt to calm any nerves in Baltimore about the team’s future.

“I am looking forward to continuing to collaborate with Governor Moore, his administration, and the Maryland Stadium Authority in order to bring to Baltimore the modern, sustainable, and electrifying sports and entertainment destination the state of Maryland deserves,” Orioles CEO John Angelos said.

“We greatly appreciate Governor Moore’s vision and commitment as we seize the tremendous opportunity to redefine the paradigm of what a Major League Baseball venue represents and thereby revitalize downtown Baltimore. It is my hope and expectation that, together with Governor Moore and the new members and new chairman of the MSA board, we can again fully realize the potential of Camden Yards to serve as a catalyst for Baltimore’s second renaissance.”

Republican Larry Hogan, the state’s previous governor, signed a bill last year increasing bond authorization for M&T Bank Stadium, home of the Baltimore Ravens, and Camden Yards. The measure allowed borrowing of up to $600 million for each stadium.

“When Camden Yards opened 30 years ago, the Baltimore Orioles revolutionized baseball and set the bar for the fan experience,” Moore, a Democrat, said Wednesday. “We share the commitment of the Orioles organization to ensuring that the team is playing in a world-class facility at Camden Yards for decades to come and are excited to advance our public-private partnership.”

Angelos recently reaffirmed that the Orioles would stay in Baltimore, although he dressed down a reporter who asked for more clarity on the future of the team’s ownership situation. Angelos was sued last year by his brother Lou, who claimed John Angelos seized control of the Orioles at his expense.