White Sox heading into 2015 with a glut of second basemen

5 Comments

ESPN’s Doug Padilla notes that now that the White Sox have moved on from Gordon Beckham, they are heading into 2015 with three second basemen in the running for one starting job. He writes that it’s unlikely all three will still be wearing White Sox uniforms by the time spring training is done.

The three candidates are Marcus Semien, Micah Johnson, and Carlos Sanchez. Semien played more at third base than at second base during the regular season in his two notable stints in the majors (April-May, then again in September), but struggled defensively at the hot corner, which is why the White Sox are viewing him more as a second baseman. Semien didn’t do a whole lot with the bat, hitting just .234/.300/.372 with six home runs and 28 RBI in 255 plate appearances.

Sanchez made his major league debut on July 13 before returning to the minors. He returned again in late August and stuck with the White Sox through the end of the season. In 104 plate appearances, he hit .250/.269/.300. At Triple-A Charlotte, with which he spent most of his season, he hit .293.

Johnson moved to Triple-A for the first time in mid-May, batting .275/.314/.370 in 302 plate appearances. He’s known for his speed, having stolen 84 bases in a single season in 2013, split between three levels in the minors. However, Johnson only stole 12 at Triple-A as he was bothered by a hamstring injury.

Freddie Freeman is sick with COVID-19, suffering from a high fever

Freddie Freeman is sick with COVID-19
Getty Images
2 Comments

Atlanta Braves All-Star first baseman Freddie Freeman is sick with COVID-19. Really sick. According to his manager, Brian Snitker, Freeman is “not feeling great.” His wife paints a darker picture than that.

Freeman’s wife posted on Instagram that Freeman has “body aches, headaches, chills and a high fever.” She said “He is someone who literally never gets sick and this virus hit him like a ton of bricks,” she said. “We’ve been really strict for the last 4 months,” she wrote. “Haven’t gone to a grocery store, haven’t gone out to dinner once, haven’t seen our friends … and still got it.” She added, “Please take this virus seriously, wear a mask when in public and wash you hands frequently.”

Freeman is not the only Braves player felled by the virus: teammates Will Smith, Touki Toussaint, and Pete Kozma, tested positive for COVID-19 this past week as well.

Freeman, 30, is a four-time All-Star who set career highs with 38 home runs and 121 RBIs last season to help Atlanta win its second straight NL East title. He also won the Silver Slugger Award. Given that he is sick and symptomatic now, it’s likely that he will not be ready to begin the truncated 2020 season as scheduled.

 

View this post on Instagram

Most of you might know by now… Freddie tested positive for Covid-19 last night. He has had body aches, headaches, chills and a high fever since Thursday. He is someone who literally never gets sick and this virus hit him like a ton of bricks. We’ve been really strict for the last 4 months. Haven’t gone to a grocery store, haven’t gone out to dinner once, haven’t seen our friends and only allowed family at our house and we still got it. So far, Charlie, Carol and I are ok. We appreciate all the messages and prayers, please keep them coming for healing and protection for the rest of our family. 🗣Please take this virus seriously, wear a mask when in public and wash you hands frequently.

A post shared by Chelsea Freeman 📍OC & ATL (@chelseafreeman5) on