Rusney Castillo will play in the majors for the Red Sox in September “barring something unforeseen”

3 Comments

Tim Britton of the Providence Journal reports that, according to Red Sox GM Ben Cherington, outfielder Rusney Castillo will play in the major leagues this season “barring something unforeseen.” Castillo, who came to the U.S. from Cuba, inked a seven-year, $72.5 million contract with the Red Sox on August 23.

Castillo was in the lineup, leading off for Double-A Portland in Wednesday evening’s game against the Binghamton Mets, the first game of the Eastern League playoffs. Cherington said Castillo will stick with Portland for the duration of their five-game series against Binghamton. Castillo debuted for the Red Sox earlier this week in the Gulf Coast League.

More from Cherington on Castillo, via Britton:

“He’s working hard, attitude has been great, soaking stuff in,” said Cherington. “We’re more interested in watching him integrate into the daily routine and get comfortable with things we’re asking him, and he’s done that very quickly.”