The Red Sox have placed shortstop Xander Bogaerts on the seven-day concussion disabled list, ESPN Boston’s Joe McDonald reports. Bogaerts was hit in the head by an 89 MPH Felix Hernandez change-up on Friday night against the Mariners and did not play in Saturday or Sunday’s games.
Bogaerts told the media he felt fine, but it’s always better to be safe than sorry when it comes to head injuries. The 21-year-old rookie has a .223/.293/.333 slash line with eight home runs and 30 RBI on the season.
The Red Sox have recalled infielder Carlos Rivero from Triple-A Pawtucket to serve as depth while Bogaerts is out.
ATLANTA — An apparent roster snafu forced the Toronto Blue Jays to change their pitching plans for Thursday night’s game at the Atlanta Braves.
After Nate Pearson gave up three runs in five innings, manager Charlie Montoyo brought in right-hander Jacob Waguespack to open the sixth.
As Waguespack walked to the mound, he was greeted by home plate umpire Alan Porter, who apparently delivered some bad news: The right-hander wasn’t on the 28-man active roster for the game.
The Blue Jays optioned Waguespack and infielder Santiago Espinal to the team’s alternate training site on Thursday to reach the 28-man roster limit.
Montoyo told reporters before the game Waguespack had been recalled when right-hander Trent Thornton was placed on the 10-day injured list with right elbow inflammation. That move apparently was not processed, leaving Waguespack off the active roster.
Waguespack walked to the dugout and Montoyo brought in Rafael Dolis as the official replacement for Pearson.