Rays play Saturday’s game against the Blue Jays under protest

51 Comments

Not long after making a comment about Blue Jays starter Mark Buehrle’s quick pace on the mound, Rays manager Joe Maddon had a reason to use it to play the game under protest.

In the top of the fourth inning, Wil Myers was on first base after hitting a one-out single. Buehrle, as he is known to do, appeared to pick Myers off at first base. Myers was ruled safe. Jays manager John Gibbons came out and requested a review of the call.

One problem: Shortstop Yunel Escobar had already stepped into the batter’s box and Buehrle was already on the mound. Once that happens, the previous play can no longer be challenged according to replay rules, Section II.D. Nevertheless, crew chief Bob Davidson allowed the play to be reviewed and the Jays won — Myers was ruled out and the Rays did not score in the fourth inning. Maddon informed Davidson that the game would be played under protest.

Section II.D:

“For purposes of these Regulations, the next ‘play’ shall commence when the pitcher is on the rubber preparing to start his delivery and the batter has entered the batter’s box (unless the defensive team initiates an appeal play in which case any call made during the play prior to the appeal still may be subject to Replay Review).

Rafael Devers won’t visit White House with Red Sox

Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images
19 Comments

The World Series champion Red Sox are scheduled to visit President Trump in the White House on February 15. Some have speculated that manager Álex Cora, who is from Puerto Rico and has been critical of Trump and has been a big factor in Hurricane Maria relief efforts, might not go as a form of protest. Thus far, nothing concrete has been reported on that front.

However, third baseman Rafael Devers says he isn’t going to join the Red Sox on their visit to the White House, Evan Drellich of NBC Sports Boston reports. Devers would prefer to focus on baseball, as the Red Sox open spring training on February 13 and position players have to report on February 17. Per Chris Mason, Devers also said via a translator, “The opportunity was presented and I just wasn’t compelled to go.”

Devers hails from the Dominican Republic and he, like many of Major League Baseball’s foreign-born player base, might not be happy about Trump’s immigration policies. Understandably, he is being tight-lipped about his motivation, but it wouldn’t be surprising if Devers is making a silent protest by choosing not to attend. He is thus far the only member of the team to bow out.

Devers, 22, hit .240/.298/.433 with 21 home runs, 66 RBI, and 59 runs scored in 490 plate appearances last season.

Last year, when the Astros visited Trump at the White House, they did so without Carlos Correa and Carlos Beltrán. Both are from Puerto Rico. It is certainly not unprecedented for individual players to opt out of the White House visit.

No word yet on what food will be served during Boston’s trip to the nation’s capital, but the smart money is on hamberders.