Jordan Zimmermann gave the Nationals quite a scare last night when he was forced to exit his start against the Phillies in the fourth inning due to injury. According to Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com, it was announced after the game that he had a right biceps cramp and will undergo an MRI today.
Zimmermann, who had Tommy John surgery in 2009, said after the game that he’s confident that the issue is muscular in nature and doesn’t involve a ligament.
“When I had the elbow problems, I knew something wasn’t right the whole time and just kept trying to pitch through it,” he said. “This, I don’t think it’s anything major, to be honest with you. It’s a little cramping, and it just felt really tight. So I didn’t want to push it.”
At the very least, Zimmermann will not be able to pitch in the All-Star Game next week. His availability beyond that is up in the air. The Nationals will have to cross their fingers for now.
Zimmermann is having another excellent season for Washington, posting a 3.03 ERA and 101/20 K/BB ratio over 113 innings. He’s currently sporting the best walk rate of his career and his highest strikeout rate since his rookie season.
The Marlins will hold a news conference on Monday, per a team announcement. The exact nature of the conference has not yet been disclosed, but MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro speculates that it is likely to focus on Víctor Víctor Mesa and Víctor Mesa Jr., two brothers and outfield prospects who have been linked to the organization over the last several weeks. CEO Derek Jeter and president of baseball operations Michael Hill are expected to be in attendance.
Víctor Víctor Mesa, 22, stands out as an above-average defender in center field and a premier talent in the international market. According to reports following the brothers’ workout at Marlins Park in early October, Víctor Víctor carries plenty of power potential at the plate, though it’s not yet clear how that will translate to in-game opportunities. The young outfielder produced a lifetime .279/.329/.371 batting line, 11 home runs, 76 stolen bases, and a .701 OPS over six seasons with the Matanzas and Industriales of the Cuban National Series and the Cuban national team during the 2017 World Baseball Classic.
There’s more uncertainty around 17-year-old Víctor Mesa, Jr., who was noted by scouts for his athleticism and above-average arm during the international prospects’ showcase several weeks ago. He previously played for Cuba’s 18U national team and appears to have potential in the outfield as well.
An additional report from Jorge Ebro of El Nuevo Herald clarifies that the Mesa brothers have already been in Miami for the past few days and are thought to have undergone the medical examinations necessary to sign with the team. If that’s the case, the club is in position to announce the signings next week. MLB.com’s Jesse Sanchez adds that Víctor Víctor Mesa could command a signing bonus upwards of $5 million, while Víctor Mesa Jr. stands to receive something in the ballpark of $1 million.