Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home”

80 Comments

Colorado Rockies owner Dick Monfort has had a snippy week with the fans. Earlier this week we told you that he told one fan, who complained about the team, that maybe he shouldn’t bother coming to Rockies games anymore if he doesn’t like it. Now he has told another fan that maybe angry Rockies fans don’t deserve to have a baseball team in the first place. From Denver’s CBS4:

CBS4 has obtained a series of emails between the long-time season ticket holder and Monfort which occurred between July 5 and July 8. The season ticket holder, who is from Denver but asked not to be identified, sent an email to the Rockies fan feedback line July 5th, writing, “The Monforts have no business owning a baseball team and their missteps in hiring ‘the good old boys’ for front office and management positions is solid evidence of their ineptitude. They have ruined pro baseball in this region while generating millions of dollars in profit.’ ”

The 57-year-old man told CBS4 he did not necessarily expect a reply from the team. But the next day, July 6 at 6:47 p.m., Monfort personally emailed the fan the following: “By the way you talk maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise, maybe time for it to find a new home. Thanks.”

Monfort tells CBS4 that what he really meant was maybe that he, Dick Monfort, doesn’t deserve to own a franchise, not that fans don’t deserve it. But in light of that earlier exchange it sounds way more like he’s telling Rockies fans that they’re ungrateful. Fans who, despite some pretty poor Rockies teams of late, continue to make the Rockies a top-10 team in attendance.

Customer Service: how does it work? Don’t ask Dick Monfort.

Cardinals extend José Martínez through 2020

Jose Martinez
Getty Images
2 Comments

First baseman/outfielder José Martínez agreed to a two-year contract extension with the Cardinals on Saturday, per a team announcement. MLB Network’s Jon Heyman reports that Martínez will receive $3.25 million in the deal plus incentives if he earns a more stable place within the starting lineup.

Martínez, 30, played 887 games in the minors before making his major-league debut with the Cardinals at the tail end of the 2016 season. The veteran first baseman has been nothing but productive in the three years since his debut, however, and turned in a career-best performance in 2018 after slashing .305/.364/.457 with 17 home runs, an .821 OPS, and 2.3 fWAR through 590 plate appearances. While he brings some positional flexibility to the table, he’ll be forced to compete against Dexter Fowler and Tyler O'Neill for a full-time gig in right field this year, as Paul Goldschmidt currently has a lock on first base.

According to Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the extension wasn’t solely precipitated by Martínez’s productivity in the majors, but by a competing offer from an unnamed Japanese team over the offseason. Goold adds that Martínez would have earned “significantly more than he would in the majors” had the club sold his rights. In the end, they ultimately elected to ink him to a more lucrative deal themselves. He’ll be eligible for arbitration in 2020.