Jon Lester doesn’t want to discuss a contract extension until after the season

5 Comments

Starter Jon Lester has told the Red Sox to hold off on extension discussions until after the season, Jon Heyman of CBS Sports reports. Lester says he wants to focus on pitching and on his team, more or less saying that the contract discussions are distracting.

The Red Sox offered Lester a contract extension worth $70 million in early April, but it was rejected.

Lester, 30, can become a free agent after the season though it is believed that Lester prefers to remain with the Red Sox. The lefty has a 2.92 ERA with a 115/29 K/BB ratio in 114 innings spanning 17 starts this season.

Blake Wood has a damaged UCL

Ezra Shaw/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Jeff Fletcher of the Orange County Register reports that Angels reliever Blake Wood underwent an MRI and was diagnosed with a damaged ulnar collateral ligament. Wood will seek further opinions before a course of treatment is decided. Tommy John surgery is a possibility.

Wood, 32, had been on a rehab assignment with High-A Inland Empire and has been on the disabled list since April 22. Prior to the injury, Wood compiled a 2.31 ERA with a 10/7 K/BB ratio in 11 2/3 innings.

Keynan Middleton recently underwent Tommy John surgery to repair a damaged UCL, so it’s not been a great time to be a member of the Angels’ bullpen.