Johnny Damon isn’t ready to call it a career. Via Lou DiPietro of the YES Network, Damon said of taking offers to continue his playing career, “I’ll listen, and it depends on how much time they give me to get ready.”
Damon is now 40 years old and hasn’t played in the major leagues since August 1, 2012 when he was with the Indians. It was the worst season of his career, as he finished with a .222/.281/.329 slash line, four home runs, and 19 RBI in 224 plate appearances.
If Damon doesn’t receive any offers, the 18-year veteran says of officially retiring, “I’ll probably finally announce it after spring training next year.”
The Athletic’s James Fegan reports that White Sox first baseman José Abreu has been hospitalized due to an infection in his thigh. It is apparently unrelated for the emergency surgery Abreu underwent last month for testicular torsion. The White Sox expect Abreu to miss the entirety of the three-game series against the Indians, which begins tonight, but are calling him day-to-day.
Abreu, 31, missed three weeks between August 20 and September 10 due to testicular torsion. After going 3-for-4 in his first game back from the disabled list, Abreu went hitless over his next five games spanning 23 trips to the plate. That dropped his triple-slash line down to .265/.325/.473 with 22 home runs and 78 RBI in 553 plate appearances.
Abreu had hit at least 25 home runs and knocked in at least 100 runs in each of his first four seasons in the majors, but he will almost certainly not reach triple-digits in RBI this season. His hospital visits impacted that, unfortunately. Abreu will enter his third and final year of arbitration eligibility after the season.