Orioles can’t be feeling very good about their $50 million investment in Ubaldo Jimenez

22 Comments

Ubaldo Jimenez is 13 starts into a four-year, $50 million deal with the Orioles and things aren’t going well at all.

Jimenez failed to make it out of the third inning Sunday on the way to his league-leading seventh loss of the season, dropping him to 2-7 with a 5.01 ERA overall. In addition to the league-high loss total he also leads the league in walks with 40, handing out 5.1 free passes per nine innings for what would be the highest rate of his already control-challenged career.

Jimenez was also awful for the Indians in 2012, going 9-17 with a 5.40 ERA, so he picked a helluva time to put together a strong season in 2013 before hitting the open market as a free agent. Although, in fairness to the Orioles, a $50 million investment in a free agent starting pitcher is hardly franchise-wrecking and in general the market for Jimenez was lower than many people expected.

He’s owed $12.25 million in 2015, $13 million in 2016, and $13.5 million in 2017.

Rafael Devers won’t visit White House with Red Sox

Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images
1 Comment

The World Series champion Red Sox are scheduled to visit President Trump in the White House on February 15. Some have speculated that manager Álex Cora, who is from Puerto Rico and has been critical of Trump and has been a big factor in Hurricane Maria relief efforts, might not go as a form of protest. Thus far, nothing concrete has been reported on that front.

However, third baseman Rafael Devers says he isn’t going to join the Red Sox on their visit to the White House, Evan Drellich of NBC Sports Boston reports. Devers would prefer to focus on baseball, as the Red Sox open spring training on February 13 and position players have to report on February 17. Per Chris Mason, Devers also said via a translator, “The opportunity was presented and I just wasn’t compelled to go.”

Devers hails from the Dominican Republic and he, like many of Major League Baseball’s foreign-born player base, might not be happy about Trump’s immigration policies. Understandably, he is being tight-lipped about his motivation, but it wouldn’t be surprising if Devers is making a silent protest by choosing not to attend. He is thus far the only member of the team to bow out.

Devers, 22, hit .240/.298/.433 with 21 home runs, 66 RBI, and 59 runs scored in 490 plate appearances last season.

Last year, when the Astros visited Trump at the White House, they did so without Carlos Correa and Carlos Beltrán. Both are from Puerto Rico. It is certainly not unprecedented for individual players to opt out of the White House visit.

No word yet on what food will be served during Boston’s trip to the nation’s capital, but the smart money is on hamberders.