David Price responds to David Ortiz: “This is not a war.”

86 Comments

Red Sox DH David Ortiz made some regrettable comments directed at Rays pitcher David Price following Friday’s game. Drama from last week’s series in Florida — in which the Red Sox did not appreciate Yunel Escobar stealing third base with a five-run lead in the eighth inning — continued, as Price hit two Boston batters and four in Red Sox uniforms were ejected.

Ortiz told the media that Price was acting “like a little girl” and a “little [expletive]”. He added, “It’s a war. It’s on.”

Price had a chance to respond on Saturday evening prior to the start of the second game of the series in Boston between the two clubs. Via Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports:

Red Sox shut down David Price for remainder of season

Jim McIsaac/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Red Sox manager Alex Cora said that starter David Price has been shut down for the remainder of the season during Wednesday’s appearance on WEEI’s Ordway, Merloni, and Fauria.

Price, 34, missed nearly a month between August 5-31 with a wrist injury (TFCC cyst). He returned on September 1, but lasted only two innings against the Angels and hasn’t pitched since.

Price ends a disappointing 2019 season with a 4.28 ERA and a 128/32 K/BB ratio in 107 1/3 innings across 22 starts. He’ll enter the fifth year of his seven-year, $217 million contract in 2020. $96 million remains on the deal.