David Ortiz rips David Price, calls him “a little girl” and “a little b-tch”

116 Comments

Things got heated between the Rays and Red Sox last weekend and it continued last night at Fenway Park in Boston, as David Price hit both David Ortiz and Mike Carp with pitches, which eventually led to a benches-clearing incident. Brandon Workman, John Farrell, Torey Luvullo, and Brian Butterfield were all ejected during the evening for Boston while Price remained in the game and pitched seven innings. The Red Sox eventually won 3-2 in 10 innings.

As you may recall, Price was peeved when Ortiz took some extra time to admire a home run during Game 2 of the ALDS last year. Per CSNNE.com, Ortiz told reporters after last night’s game that the first-inning hit-by-pitch was retaliatory in nature and he used some inflammatory language to rip Price.

“You can’t be acting like a little girl out there,” said Ortiz. “You’re not going to win every time. When you give it up, that’s an experience for the next time. If you’re going act like a little [expletive] when you give it up, bounce back and put your teammates in jeopardy, that’s going to cost you.”

Ortiz made it clear that the actions belong to Price and Price alone.

“He knew he screwed up,” said Ortiz. “He did that on his own. No manager sent him. No player was comfortable with the situation. He did that on his own. Which is (expletive). He can get somebody else hurt. You can’t be doing that (stuff).”

“It’s on. Next time [Price] better bring the gloves. I have no respect for him no more.”

You certainly don’t want to see anybody get hurt with a silly beanball war, so it’s easy to understand Ortiz’s frustration here. However, it would be nice to see him get his point across without needlessly stepping into misogyny. Oh well.

Here’s video of Ortiz’s comments:

As for Price, he told Joe Smith of the Tampa Bay Times after the game that he didn’t throw at Ortiz and Carp on purpose. Of course, what else would you expect him to say?

“I’ve got to establish my fastball in,” Price said. “I’ve got six lefties in that lineup. It’s my favorite side of the plate to go to.”

Ortiz characterized the situation as “a war” during his post-game comments, so the rest of this weekend — and future matchups between Ortiz and Price — should be interesting.

Colin Poche, Rays go to arbitration just $125,000 apart

Colin Poche torn UCL
Getty Images
0 Comments

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. – Reliever Colin Poche went to salary arbitration with the Tampa Bay Rays on Tuesday with the sides just $125,000 apart.

The gap between the $1.3 million the pitcher asked for and the $1,175,000 the team offered was the smallest among the 33 players who exchanged proposed arbitration figures last month. The case was heard by John Woods, Jeanne Vonhof and Walt De Treux, who will hold their decision until later this month.

A 29-year-old left-hander, Poche had Tommy John surgery on July 29, 2020, and returned to the major leagues last April 22 after six appearances at Triple-A Durham. Poche was 4-2 with a 3.99 ERA and seven saves in 65 relief appearances for the Rays. He struck out 64 and walked 22 in 58 2/3 innings.

Poche had a $707,800 salary last year.

Tampa Bay went to arbitration on Monday with reliever Ryan Thompson, whose decision also is being held until later this month. He asked for $1.2 million and the Rays argued for $1 million.

Rays right-hander Jason Adam and outfielder Harold Ramirez remain scheduled for hearings.

Players and teams have split four decisions thus far. All-Star pitcher Max Fried ($13.5 million) lost to Atlanta and reliever Diego Castillo ($2.95 million) was defeated by Seattle, while pitcher Jesus Luzardo ($2.45 million) and AL batting champion Luis Arraez ($6.1 million) both beat the Marlins.

A decision also is pending for Los Angeles Angels outfielder Hunter Renfroe.

Eighteen additional players are eligible for arbitration and hearings are scheduled through Feb. 17. Among the eligible players is Seattle utilityman Dylan Moore, who has a pending three-year contract worth $8,875,000.