An update on Alex Guerrero’s recovery following the Miguel Olivo attack

21 Comments

Jon Heyman spoke with Scott Boras, agent to Dodgers infield prospect Alex Guerrero. Who most of you got to know via the awful attack he experienced from Miguel Olivo, who bit off a chunk of his ear. Heyman reports that Guerrero, while still under medical care at UCLA, is doing better:

Dodgers prospect Alex Guerrero is said to be progressing following ear re-attachment surgery, and the hope remains that the ear has been saved after loosing a significant chunk of it in a biting incident, Guerrero’s agent Scott Boras said.

“We’re still not out of the woods. But we’re optimistic. The doctor gave a good report (on Thursday),” Boras said by phone.

He can’t really work out yet because sweat and moisture is bad for area around the reattachment. Boras talks about Guerrero’s psychological state as well. Which, because this was an on-the-field incident, many of us may easily overlook. But it was nonetheless a violent attack that has left very real physical scars, so it would be understandable if there were some mental ones too.

Rafael Devers won’t visit White House with Red Sox

Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images
20 Comments

The World Series champion Red Sox are scheduled to visit President Trump in the White House on February 15. Some have speculated that manager Álex Cora, who is from Puerto Rico and has been critical of Trump and has been a big factor in Hurricane Maria relief efforts, might not go as a form of protest. Thus far, nothing concrete has been reported on that front.

However, third baseman Rafael Devers says he isn’t going to join the Red Sox on their visit to the White House, Evan Drellich of NBC Sports Boston reports. Devers would prefer to focus on baseball, as the Red Sox open spring training on February 13 and position players have to report on February 17. Per Chris Mason, Devers also said via a translator, “The opportunity was presented and I just wasn’t compelled to go.”

Devers hails from the Dominican Republic and he, like many of Major League Baseball’s foreign-born player base, might not be happy about Trump’s immigration policies. Understandably, he is being tight-lipped about his motivation, but it wouldn’t be surprising if Devers is making a silent protest by choosing not to attend. He is thus far the only member of the team to bow out.

Devers, 22, hit .240/.298/.433 with 21 home runs, 66 RBI, and 59 runs scored in 490 plate appearances last season.

Last year, when the Astros visited Trump at the White House, they did so without Carlos Correa and Carlos Beltrán. Both are from Puerto Rico. It is certainly not unprecedented for individual players to opt out of the White House visit.

No word yet on what food will be served during Boston’s trip to the nation’s capital, but the smart money is on hamberders.