Red Sox place Shane Victorino on disabled list, recall Daniel Nava from Triple-A

8 Comments

UPDATE: Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe reports that the Red Sox placed Victorino on the disabled list and recalled Daniel Nava from Triple-A Pawtucket.

11:01 a.m. ET: Because an eight-game losing streak isn’t bad enough, here’s this. According to Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald, Shane Victorino left last night’s game against the Rays after he tweaked his right hamstring on bunt attempt in the ninth inning.

Victorino missed the first three weeks of the season due to a right hamstring strain, so this isn’t a good sign. Red Sox manager John Farrell said after the game that this injury isn’t doesn’t appear to be as serious, but more should be known later today.

“Preliminary, or at least the first exam, doesn’t appear to be as severe as spring training,’’ Farrell said. “But we’ll get a better read on it once a full workup is done when he gets to the park (today).”

Victorino has struggled so far this season, batting just .242 with one home run and a .276 on-base percentage through 21 games. Boston’s outfield is batting just .220/.296/.337 as a unit this season. Only the Twins have a lower OPS from their outfield.

Yankees activate Aroldis Chapman

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Yesterday the New York Yankees got Aaron Judge back. Today they activated closer Aroldis Chapman.

Chapman has been on the disabled list since August 22 with left knee tendinitis. Before going down the 30-year-old fireballer registered a 2.11 ERA and 31 saves with an 84/27 K/BB ratio in 47 innings of work.

In his absence David Robertson, Dellin Betances and Zach Britton have all been bumped an inning back to decidedly mixed results. Now Chapman is back in the mix.