Mets catcher Travis d’Arnaud landed on the 7-day concussion disabled list last week after he was hit in the head by Yankees designated hitter/outfielder Alfonso Soriano, but Adam Rubin of ESPN New York reports the young catcher has now been cleared for baseball activities.
D’Arnaud suffered from “a lot of headaches,” as well as sensitivity to light and sound and difficulty sleeping after the concussion, but he felt symptom-free for the first time on Wednesday. He has been cleared to participate running, throwing, and hitting in the cage, but Mets manager Terry Collins said he’d like to see him go on a brief minor league rehab assignment before being activated. He’d still have to get the OK from doctors to return to game action.
D’Arnaud was a key piece of the deal that sent R.A. Dickey to the Blue Jays, but he has yet to enjoy sustained success so far in the majors. The 25-year-old owns a .199/.280/.289 batting line through 226 plate appearances.
Part of the reason the Cleveland Indians could trade away a pitcher like Trevor Bauer in the middle of a playoff race is because they have reinforcements on the way. The primary reinforcement is Corey Kluber, who has been out since May 1 with a broken arm. Based on what happened yesterday it’s possible that the Tribe will have to wait a bit longer for that particular reinforcement to arrive.
Kluber was the starter in yesterday’s game between Triple-A Columbus and Charlotte. He managed only one inning, however, walking two and not allowing a run before being lifted due to abdominal tightness. It was said that he was removed for precautionary reasons, so it may not be an injury as opposed to everyone simply being spooked. He’ll be reevaluated today.
It’s unclear whether this will delay his return to the Indians, though it obviously isn’t a good development. As it stood before yesterday, Cleveland had hoped Kluber could make big league starts in September and be ready for the postseason.