The story from earlier in the week that Saul Katz wants to sell his share of the Mets — which he adamantly denied the same day — was based on the premise that the Mets are losing money and Katz is tired of subsidizing the team. That’s what the New York Times said anyway.
Bud Selig says he’s heard nothing about Katz wanting to sell and cited the denial, but he went a step further and said that there was no truth to the assumption that the Mets are losing money:
I’ve said this repetitively — I have no concerns about the Mets. I have no reason to have any concerns. Why should I have? That’s the whole point . . . I’m very optimistic about what they’re doing. The only people telling me to have concerns are people who don’t know and haven’t seen any facts . . . I don’t understand these stories because I have all the economic facts — nothing to support (the team is hemorrhaging money). Major League Baseball has all the economic information. This idea that I should have reason to be concerned is just wrong.”
I suppose that’s good news. But it’s also frustrating for Mets fans who look at the bullpen they’re stuck with and assume it’s that way because the team is broke. Now what? It’s that way because the team just doesn’t want a good bullpen?
The Astros have acquired shortstop Aledmys Díaz from the Blue Jays in exchange for minor league right-hander Trent Thornton, the teams announced Saturday.
Díaz, 28, was originally acquired by the Blue Jays last winter in a swap for minor leaguer J.B. Woodman. He spent the entirety of his 2018 campaign in Toronto, where he slashed .263/.303/.453 with a .756 OPS and career-best 18 home runs through 452 plate appearances. While Díaz spent the bulk of his year filling in for an injured Troy Tulowitzki at short, he has experience at second and third base and may prove useful to the Astros as an extra outfield option, too.
Per Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic, Díaz will serve as protection if the Astros lose shortstop/utility player Marwin González to free agency this winter. González did not receive a qualifying offer from the club this month and has reportedly drawn interest from 29 of 30 clubs in the league.
Thornton, 25, was selected by the Astros during the fifth round of the 2015 draft. The right-hander was promoted to Triple-A Fresno in 2017 and has been up-and-down since then, though 2018 saw some modest improvements across the board as he turned in a 9-8 record through 22 starts with a 4.42 ERA, 2.2 BB/9 and 8.8 SO/9 through 124 1/3 innings. He was one of several minor league players the Astros would have needed to protect in advance of the Rule 5 Draft on Tuesday.