Nationals wanted to sign Doug Fister to a contract extension

1 Comment

Doug Fister is finally scheduled to make his Nationals debut Friday night after spending the first six weeks of the season on the disabled list, making the offseason trade to get him from the Tigers look a little less brilliant than most people (including me) opined at the time.

Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post also has an interesting new tidbit about the deal, reporting that the Nationals tried to sign Fister to a long-term contract extension right after trading for him.

Washington did a similar thing after acquiring Gio Gonzalez from the A’s in 2011, but Kilgore says the talks with Fister never progressed and instead the two sides avoided arbitration with a one-year, $7.2 million deal. Fister is under team control again in 2015 via arbitration and can then become a free agent at age 32, so considering the offseason contracts guys like Matt Garza, Ricky Nolasco, and Ubaldo Jimenez received it’s easy to see him asking the Nationals for more than $50 million in any extension talks.

Josh Reddick says he and his Astros teammates have received death threats

Getty Images
4 Comments

Yesterday Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle spoke to Athletics pitcher Mike Fiers. In the course of the interview, Fiers revealed that he has received death threats for blowing the whistle on the Astros’ cheating. Rob Manfred said last week, before the interview came out, that Major League Baseball would do everything in its power to protect Fiers and his family both when the A’s play in Houston and when they play anyplace else.

Manfred’s pledge of protection is going to need to be expanded, because today the guys on whom Fiers blew the whistle are saying they’ve received death threats as well.

At least Josh Reddick is saying it:

It’s obviously disgraceful for anyone to have to endure this sort of crap. People need to get a grip.