J.J. Hardy: Orioles’ lack of action on contract extension “just makes me curious”

25 Comments

The Orioles and J.J. Hardy were expected to at least broach the subject of a contract extension during spring training, but nothing has happened yet with May fast approaching. Hardy, 31, can become a free agent after the season once the final year of his three-year, $22.25 million contract expires.

That the Orioles haven’t been in contact with Hardy’s agent makes the shortstop scratch his head. Via Rich Dubroff of CSN Baltimore:

“I don’t know. I don’t know what to say because no matter what I say it’s going to cause some controversy, a story that I really don’t want to get involved with right now,” Hardy said. “There’s been no talk. There was going to be talk, and then there wasn’t. That’s kind of the way it’s been left.”

[…]

“It just makes me curious. I don’t understand what happened within the month or two that there was going to be talk, and all of a sudden there’s not. It just makes me curious,” Hardy said.

Hardy’s offensive numbers in 2012 and ’13 didn’t quite live up to the numbers he posted in his first year with the Orioles in 2011. And he’s off to a slow start in 2014, posting a .238/.250/.286 line over 44 plate appearances.

Hardy, by the way, left Sunday night’s game against the Red Sox with a strained right hamstring. He has also been dealing with back spasms, an injury that bothered him last season as well. While Hardy has mostly been healthy since joining the Orioles, one can understand the Orioles’ reticence in signing a long-term pact to a player dealing with various injury problems as he approaches his mid-30’s.

Brewers to give Mike Moustakas a look at second base

Thearon W. Henderson/Getty Images
8 Comments

The Brewers reportedly signed third baseman Mike Moustakas to a one-year, $10 million contract on Sunday. While the deal is not yet official, MLB.com’s Adam McCalvy reports that the Brewers plan to give Moustakas a look at second base during spring training. If all goes well, he will be the primary second baseman and Travis Shaw will stay at third base.

The initial thought was that Moustakas would simply take over at third base for the more versatile Shaw. Moustakas has spent 8,035 of his career defensive innings at third base, 35 innings at first base, and none at second. In fact, he has never played second base as a pro player. Shaw, meanwhile, has spent 268 of his 4,073 1/3 defensive innings in the majors at second base and played there as recently as October.

This is certainly an interesting wrinkle to signing Moustakas, who is a decent third baseman. He was victimized by another slow free agent market, not signing until March last year on a $6.5 million deal with a $15 million mutual option for this season. That option was declined, obviously, and he ended up signing for $5 million cheaper here in February as the Brewers waited him out. Notably, Moustakas did not have qualifying offer compensation attached to him this time around.

Last season, between the Royals and Brewers, the 30-year-old Moustakas hit .251/.315/.459 with 28 home runs and 95 RBI in 635 plate appearances.