Carlos Quentin could start the season on the disabled list

13 Comments

Padres manager Bud Black says outfielder Carlos Quentin could begin the season on the disabled list, Dennis Lin of U-T San Diego reports. Quentin had surgery to remove loose bodies from his right knee last September, but it is his other knee that is bothering him now. The outfielder recently said he has been suffering from soreness in his left knee.

That Quentin is less than 100 percent shouldn’t be much of a surprise, as he played in just 86 games in 2012 and 82 games last season. Even dating back to 2009, a five-year span, he has averaged only 103 games per season. When he has been healthy, he has been a productive hitter for the Padres, posting an .866 OPS in his two seasons with them.

Nathan Eovaldi to start Game 3 for the Red Sox

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Red Sox manager Alex Cora said last night that Nathan Eovaldi will start Game 3 of the ALCS against the Astros on Tuesday.

Rick Porcello was previously lined up to start that game, but he was used in relief in last night’s game. Not that Eovaldi is chopped liver. Indeed, he’s coming off seven innings of one-run ball with five strikeouts and no walks in his Game 3 start against the Yankees in the ALDS.

Houston will go with Dallas Keuchel in Game 3, followed by Charlie Morton in Game 4. That is, “unless Armageddon hits and we have a historically long game,” said A.J. Hinch yesterday.