Randy Wolf asked to be cut after the Mariners requested he sign a 45-day release waiver

26 Comments

Ryan Divish of the Seattle Times explains the odd situation:

After it seemed as Randy Wolf made the opening day starting rotation – which he apparently did, we learned that Wolf asked to be released from his contract and the Mariners granted his release.

So what happened?’

Well, the Mariners told Wolf on Tuesday that he had made the team and would be in the starting rotation. But in the midst of that, they slipped in that they wanted him to sign 45-day advanced-consent relief form.

Wolf would not sign the form, telling reporters on Tuesday evening, “I was principally objected to that simply because we negotiated in good faith in February on a team friendly contract, if I were to make the team. I felt like I came in amazing shape, I pitched great and I earned a spot on the team. They told me I earned the spot on team. But to me, that advanced consent thing is kind of renegotiating a contract so I told them I wouldn’t sign in and I disagreed with it.”

Wolf posted a 4.26 ERA and 1.316 WHIP in 19 Cactus League innings this spring.

The 37-year-old left-hander should be able to latch on with a new team quickly.

Seattle will presumably fill out its rotation with Blake Beaven and Roenis Elias.

Editor’s Note: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $100,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Opening Day’s games (March 31). It’s $25 to join and first prize is $15,000. Starts at 1:05pm ET on Opening Day. Here’s the FanDuel link.

White Sox to extend protective netting to the foul poles

Getty Images
1 Comment

Recently two more fans suffered serious injuries as the result of hard-hit foul balls at major league games. One of those fans was hurt at a White Sox game at Guaranteed Rate Field earlier this month. In response, the White Sox have taken it upon themselves to do that which Major League Baseball will not require and extend protective netting. From the Chicago Sun-Times:

The White Sox and Illinois Sports Facilities Authority are planning to extend the protective netting at Guaranteed Rate Field down the lines to the foul poles, according to a source.

Exact details will be announced later, but the changes will be made as soon as possible this season.

If recent history holds, they will not be the last team to do it.

Major League Baseball has taken a laissez-faire approach to protective netting over the past several years, requiring nothing even if it has made recommendations to teams to do something. The last time it made a suggestion was in December 2015 when teams were “encouraged” to shield the seats between the near ends of both dugouts and within 70 feet of home plate. In the wake of that recommendation only a few teams immediately extended their netting, primarily because if you ask a business to do something but say it is not required to do anything, it is not likely to do anything.

It would not be until September 2017, after a baby girl was severely injured at Yankee Stadium, that the rest of baseball was inspired to extend protective netting in keeping with MLB’s recommendations. Indeed, it was a land rush, with all 30 teams extending their netting by Opening Day 2018. While a generous interpretation would have everyone seeing the light simultaneously, my slightly more experienced eye saw it as a “don’t be the only team not to have extended netting by the time the next lawsuit hits” approach.

In the wake of the two recent injuries Major League Baseball issued a statement about how it “will keep examining” the matter of additional protective netting while, again, mandating nothing. Now that the White Sox are extending netting to the foul poles, however,  it’s not hard to imagine a situation in which other teams follow suit. Sooner or later, enough will likely have done so to create critical mass and make any team which has not done so to make the effort out of self-preservation.

Or, more generously, good sense.