Tigers, Max Scherzer cut off extension talks

55 Comments

As first reported by MLive.com’s Chris Iott, the Tigers made a final long-term extension offer this weekend to the representatives of right-hander Max Scherzer and had it rejected. The two sides will wait until the offseason to pick the negotiations back up, and there’s obviously now a very good chance that Scherzer will be hitting the open market.

“We made him an offer that would have placed him among highest paid pitchers in baseball,” Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski told the media on Sunday morning. “They turned it down.”

Scherzer is set to earn $15.53 million in 2014 — his third and final season of salary arbitration.

The 29-year-old won American League Cy Young Award honors last season after going 21-3 with a 2.90 ERA, 0.97 WHIP, and 240 strikeouts in 214 1/3 innings (32 starts). His agent is Scott Boras.

The Tigers signed Justin Verlander to a seven-year, $180 million extension last March.

***********************

UPDATE, 1:19 p.m. ET: Boras has responded to Dombrowski’s statement, via ESPN.com:

“Max Scherzer made a substantial long-term contract extension offer to the Detroit Tigers that would have placed him among the highest-paid pitchers in baseball, and the offer was rejected by Detroit,” Boras said. “Max is very happy with the city of Detroit, the fans and his teammates, and we will continue negotiating with the Tigers at season’s end.”

So there seems to be some disagreement between the parties about how the negotiations went down.

***********************

UPDATE, 3:55 p.m. ET: According to FOX Sports’ Jon Morosi, the Tigers offered Scherzer a six-year, $144 million extension. Those are the same terms that ace lefty Cole Hamels got from the Phillies in 2012.

Report: Marlins, Mets, Yankees have discussed three-team trade involving J.T. Realmuto

Kiyoshi Ota/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that the Marlins, Mets, and Yankees have had discussions about a three-team trade in which Marlins catcher J.T. Realmuto would go to the Mets. It’s not known which other players were discussed in the deal, but Rosenthal notes that the Mets wouldn’t be willing to part with Noah Syndergaard if they are only getting Realmuto in return.

Realmuto, 27, was the best offensive catcher in baseball in 2018, batting .277/.340/.484 with 21 home runs and 74 RBI in 531 plate appearances. He has two more years of team control remaining until he becomes eligible for free agency, adding to his value.

The Mets’ catching corps currently includes Kevin Plawecki and Travis d'Arnaud, so Realmuto would be a significant upgrade. Such a trade would be the club’s second big splash of the offseason as the Mets finalized a trade to acquire second baseman Robinson Canó and closer Edwin Díaz from the Mariners earlier this month.

Interestingly, the Mets and Yankees haven’t made a deal involving major league players since December 2004, when the two sides swapped pitchers Mike Stanton and Félix Heredia, Rosenthal points out.