Freddy Galvis out indefinitely with MRSA

30 Comments

Phillies infielder Freddy Galvis had an abscess removed from his left knee on Wednesday. After the procedure, doctors found a staph infection, but that wasn’t the worst news. CSN Philly’s Jim Salisbury reports that Galvis has come down with Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, more commonly known as MRSA. Simply put, Galvis has an antibiotic-resistant infection.

Galvis will be out indefinitely. GM Ruben Amaro wouldn’t offer a timetable for his return.

“Clearly, his timeframe would be much longer if it’s MRSA,” Amaro said before Galvis’ diagnosis. “I’m not really sure what the timetable would be if it’s just a staph infection.

“But right now, we’re more concerned about his overall health than anything else. We’ll find out a little more about it when they do some more studies today. He’s going to stay in the hospital. He’s doing an IV antibiotic and also some oral antibiotics. Hopefully after these next couple days it’s just oral antibiotics. We’ll see.”

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers of the NFL dealt with a MRSA outbreak in October. Locker rooms and clubhouses are particularly prone to MRSA outbreaks.

Galvis has become a favorite of manager Ryne Sandberg amid the Jimmy Rollins controversy. He was all but assured a bench spot on the 25-man roster. His absence means that non-roster invitees such as Reid Brignac and Ronny Cedeno have a very real chance to join the team when they break camp.

Ex-Angels employee charged in overdose death of Tyler Skaggs

AP Photo
4 Comments

FORT WORTH, Texas — A former Angels employee has been charged with conspiracy to distribute fentanyl in connection with last year’s overdose death of Angels pitcher Tyler Skaggs, prosecutors in Texas announced Friday.

Eric Prescott Kay was arrested in Fort Worth, Texas, and made his first appearance Friday in federal court, according to Erin Nealy Cox, the U.S. Attorney for the Northern District of Texas. Kay was communications director for the Angels.

Skaggs was found dead in his hotel room in the Dallas area July 1, 2019, before the start of what was supposed to be a four-game series against the Texas Rangers. The first game was postponed before the teams played the final three games.

Skaggs died after choking on his vomit with a toxic mix of alcohol and the powerful painkillers fentanyl and oxycodone in his system, a coroner’s report said. Prosecutors accused Kay of providing the fentanyl to Skaggs and others, who were not named.

“Tyler Skaggs’s overdose – coming, as it did, in the midst of an ascendant baseball career – should be a wake-up call: No one is immune from this deadly drug, whether sold as a powder or hidden inside an innocuous-looking tablet,” Nealy Cox said.

If convicted, Kay faces up to 20 years in prison. Federal court records do not list an attorney representing him, and an attorney who previously spoke on his behalf did not immediately return a message seeking comment.