Cardinals shopping shortstop Pete Kozma

31 Comments

Adam Rubin of ESPN New York reports that the Cardinals are shopping shortstop Pete Kozma, who is currently on the outside looking in for an Opening Day roster spot with the defending National League champions. Rubin says the Mets probably aren’t interested because Kozma is “not really” an upgrade over projected starting shortstop Ruben Tejada.

Kozma plays decent defense at short, but he was a .236/.308/.344 career hitter in the minor leagues and is a .232/.293/.315 career hitter in the major leagues. The 25-year-old was a first-round pick (18th overall) in the 2007 MLB Amateur Draft but hasn’t been able to develop offensively and his past numbers suggest that there is no improvement on the way.

The Cardinals signed shortstop Jhonny Peralta to a four-year, $52 million free agent contract in November and they inked 23-year-old Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year, $8 million deal in early March. Daniel Descalso can serve as an emergency backup in the early going for Peralta while Diaz, a Cuban defector who did not play in 2013, gets acclimated to U.S. pro baseball in the minors.

Rubin says the Mets might be going after Diamondbacks shortstop Didi Gregorius.

Max Scherzer: ‘There’s no reason to engage with MLB in any further compensation reductions’

Max Scherzer
Mark Brown/Getty Images
9 Comments

MLBPA player representative Max Scherzer sent out a short statement late Wednesday night regarding the ongoing negotiations between the owners and the union. On Tuesday, ownership proposed a “sliding scale” salary structure on top of the prorated pay cuts the players already agreed to back in March. The union rejected the proposal, with many worrying that it would drive a wedge in the union’s constituency.

Scherzer is one of eight players on the MLBPA executive subcommittee along with Andrew Miller, Daniel Murphy, Elvis Andrus, Cory Gearrin, Chris Iannetta, James Paxton, and Collin McHugh.

Scherzer’s statement:

After discussing the latest developments with the rest of the players there’s no reason to engage with MLB in any further compensation reductions. We have previously negotiated a pay cut in the version of prorated salaries, and there’s no justification to accept a 2nd pay cut based upon the current information the union has received. I’m glad to hear other players voicing the same viewpoint and believe MLB’s economic strategy would completely change if all documentation were to become public information.

Indeed, aside from the Braves, every other teams’ books are closed, so there has been no way to fact-check any of the owners’ claims. Cubs chairman Tom Ricketts, for example, recently said that 70 percent of the Cubs’ revenues come from “gameday operations” (ticket sales, concessions, etc.). But it went unsubstantiated because the Cubs’ books are closed. The league has only acknowledged some of the union’s many requests for documentation. Without supporting evidence, Ricketts’ claim, like countless others from team executives, can only be taken as an attempt to manipulate public sentiment.

Early Thursday morning, ESPN’s Jeff Passan reported that the MLBPA plans to offer a counter-proposal to MLB in which the union would suggest a season of more than 100 games and fully guaranteed prorated salaries. It seems like the two sides are quite far apart, so it may take longer than expected for them to reach an agreement.