UPDATE: Justin Masterson wants $40-60 million over three or four years

9 Comments

UPDATE: Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that Masterson and his agent have made a three-to-four-year proposal to the Indians which is believed to be in the $40-60 million range. They are currently waiting to hear back from the team, but the request sounds pretty reasonable.

8:51 p.m. ET: Justin Masterson can become a free agent after this season, but he expressed optimism over the weekend about agreeing to a contract extension with the Indians. This report from CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman is another hint that things are moving in the right direction:

Indians star pitcher Justin Masterson named his price in contract discussions with the team over the weekend, and word is, he could be amenable to a shorter-term deal than the free-agent market would likely warrant, perhaps even as little as three years, depending on the price.

Masterson’s agent, Randy Rowley, suggested a figure in talks Saturday with the Indians, and while that number isn’t known, and there’s work to do, there is said to be a decent feeling among Indians people that they may be able to work something out with the right-hander, if not immediately then perhaps by the end of spring. Indians GM Chris Antonetti declined comment.

There was some speculation that Masterson would look for a deal similar in structure to Homer Bailey’s recent six-year, $105 million extension with the Reds, so this is a very positive development for the Indians. Rowley told Heyman that Masterson is motivated to stay with Cleveland because of his admiration for Terry Francona and his teammates as well as his family situation. However, while they might see eye to eye as far as years, the price remains a question.

Masterson, who turns 29 later this month, recently avoided arbitration with the Indians by agreeing to a $9.7625 million contract. He’s coming off a 3.45 ERA and 195/76 K/BB ratio over 193 innings last year.

Report: Astros, Michael Brantley agree to two-year, $32 million contract

Jason Miller/Getty Images
9 Comments

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that the Astros and outfielder Michael Brantley are closing in on an agreement for a two-year contract in the $32 million range.

Brantley, 31, played a mostly full season last year for the first time since 2015. He hit .309/.364/.468 with 17 home runs, 76 RBI, 89 runs scored, and 12 stolen bases in 631 plate appearances. He made the AL All-Star squad for the third time in his career.

Brantley’s health, though, is why he had to settle for a two-year deal as opposed to a longer contract for a player of his caliber. He will take over in left field. In the event Brantley succumbs to injury woes, the Astros have top prospect Kyle Tucker waiting in the wings.

Update: According to Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports, who also reports that the deal is in place, the Astros plan to rotate Brantley between left field, first base, and DH. That opens up some more playing time for Tucker.