Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball”

133 Comments

Ian Kinsler isn’t happy about the way things shook down in Texas, though he comes off far worse than anyone there in an ESPN The Magazine piece posted today.

Kinsler, traded from Texas to Detroit for Prince Fielder over the winter, called Rangers GM Jon Daniels a “sleazeball” who “got in good with the owners and straight pushed [former Rangers CEO Nolan] Ryan out.” He was and still is upset that Michael Young was traded in Dec. 2012 in part because it created a leadership void that he had no interest in filling himself.

“I was bogged down,” Kinsler said. “They wanted me to lead these young players, teach them the way to compete, when the only thing I should be worried about is how I’m performing in the game.”

Kinsler showed just how interested he was in leading when he declined to move to first base to make room for top prospect Jurickson Profar at second base after the 2012 season. That decision, as much as anything else, sealed his fate in Texas.

Daniels was also quoted about the article, but he declined to criticize Kinsler, even after being told of the “sleazeball” comment. “I’m not going to justify that,” he says. “He was a key member of the best teams in the history of the franchise. He’s entitled to his opinion.”

Kinsler, of course, says he’s rededicated himself since the trade. He’s lost 15 pounds, and he intends to show more range at second base. You know, the kind of thing he wasn’t interested in doing for the team that gave him a five-year, $75 million contract in the first place. “To be honest with you, I hope they go 0-162,” Kinsler said. “I got friends, and I love my friends, but I hope they lose their ass.”

///

Update: Backtracking Tuesday at the Tigers complex, Kinsler said his comments about about Daniels were taken out of context and that the 0-162 thing was meant as a joke. He called the ESPN The Magazine piece “a story written for drama.

Cardinals shut down Carlos Martínez for two weeks due to shoulder issue

Dilip Vishwanat/Getty Images
3 Comments

MLB.com’s Jenifer Langosh reports that the Cardinals are shutting down pitcher Carlos Martínez from throwing for two weeks because his shoulder strength isn’t where it should have been at this point. Langosch added that an MRI showed no structural damage in Martínez’s right shoulder.

Interestingly, president of baseball operations John Mozeliak didn’t sound too happy with Martínez offseason training regimen. Per Mark Saxon of The Athletic, Mozeliak said, “Obviously, there’s a history with Carlos’ shoulder and it would be probably in everybody’s best interest if he maintained a constant or perpetual approach to that program.”

Martínez, 27, battled oblique and shoulder injuries last year. He accrued just 118 2/3 innings, making just 18 starts. He was moved to the bullpen when he returned from the disabled list in August and finished out the season in that role. Still, Martínez managed a 3.11 ERA with 117 strikeouts and 60 walks.

Langosch reported last week that the Cardinals were considering using Martínez in relief again in 2019. The latest news may push the Cardinals to indeed use Martínez out of the bullpen once again. He will be reevaluated in early March, but there is a chance he won’t be ready for Opening Day.