SARASOTA — Buck Showalter spoke to the media down on the field after Orioles’ BP this morning. As part of the usual report he told reporters that Nolan Reimold went home this morning and wouldn’t be here today. Reason? Breakfast food.
Or at least a breakfast restaurant. It’s unclear when Reimold ate at the particular establishment which (a) is open 24 hours; and (b) which Showalter preferred not be named in the interests of politeness. But whatever he had disagreed with him. That set off a longish discussion of places one still goes to eat even if you’ve had a bad experience there because, man, that’s just the cost of doing business if you want convenience.
Personally I would apply that rule to Taco Bell, as that’s simply not a replaceable good when you need that sort of thing. Beyond that I’d be hard-pressed to continue to patronize anyplace that did to me what it did to Reimold. But we’re in Florida and there really aren’t many places that are a grand slam if you want convenient food, ya know?
The Reds have sent second baseman Scooter Gennett in for an MRI exam after he was forced to make an early departure from Friday’s 6-4 loss to the Brewers. The exact nature of the injury has yet to be reported, but starting pitcher Robert Stephenson said Gennett may have hurt himself after he “rolled weird” while trying to rein in a ground ball. He appeared to be grabbing at his right thigh/groin area immediately afterward and was helped off the field.
Following the incident, the 28-year-old was swiftly replaced by veteran infielder Carlos Rivero, who went hitless as he finished out the game. Though Gennett went 0-for-1 in his lone at-bat on Friday, he’s been tearing through the Cactus League competition this spring with a .351/.405/.486 batting line in 42 plate appearances so far.
The extent of Gennett’s injuries have not been disclosed — and may still be unknown to the team as well — but any significant setback would undoubtedly throw a wrench in the Reds’ plans this season, as he was the presumed starter at the keystone after turning in his first All-Star worthy performance in 2018. Although they have a promising alternative in top infield/outfield prospect Nick Senzel, the 23-year-old has not seen any time at second base this year and was recently reassigned to Triple-A Louisville to start the 2019 season.