Astros prospect Jonathan Singleton opens up about addiction

50 Comments

Kristie Rieken of the Associated Press has a really interesting read on Astros prospect Jonathan Singleton, who served a 50-game suspension at the start of last season after a second positive test for marijuana use. Singleton, who had a month-long stay at an in-patient rehab center, was brutally honest about the impact the drug had on him.

“At this point it’s pretty evident to me that I’m a drug addict,” he told The Associated Press over breakfast on a recent day near the Astros’ camp. “I don’t openly tell everyone that, but it’s pretty apparent to myself.”
“I know that I enjoy smoking weed, I enjoy being high and I can’t block that out of my mind that I enjoy that,” he said. “So I have to work against that.”

Singleton said he hasn’t smoked marijuana in more than one year, but it hasn’t been an easy road. In fact, he admitted that he turned to alcohol as a substitute last year amid his struggles at the Triple-A level and would wake up “hung over every single morning.” Talk about unintended consequences. Singleton is said to be in a better place mentally now and he could be a factor with the Astros in the early part of this season if all goes well.

By the way, Singleton was added to the Astros’ 40-man roster in October and can no longer be tested for marijuana.

Per Brian McTaggart of MLB.com, the Astros released the following statement regarding Singelton’s comments:

“We applaud Jon for the courage he has shown in tackling this issue head on. He has displayed a great deal of maturity and commitment over the past year and has the full support of the Astros organization. He is on the right track for his baseball career, and, more importantly, for his life. We are very proud of Jon.”

Report: Yankees, Reds finalizing trade for Sonny Gray

Sonny Gray
Getty Images
5 Comments

Barring physicals and roster reshuffling, the Yankees and Reds are all but ready to finalize a deal involving right-hander Sonny Gray, Fancred’s Jon Heyman reported Saturday. The exact return has not been confirmed, but Heyman hears that the Yankees will receive top infield prospect Shed Long and a draft pick in exchange for Gray, with an as-yet unnamed third player possibly involved as well.

According to several reports earlier in the day, negotiations came down to the wire as the Yankees first had their eye on the Reds’ no. 6 prospect, 22-year-old catcher Tyler Stephenson. The Reds ultimately elected to hang on to Stephenson and send Long to New York, as they currently have a greater need for catching depth and weren’t expected to be able to provide a full-time role for the infielder in 2019. Long, 23, is ranked seventh in the Reds’ system and appears to be nearing his MLB debut after batting .261/.353/.412 with 12 homers and a .765 OPS across 522 PA at Double-A Pensacola last year.

Gray figures to step into a prominent role within the Reds’ rotation, which is likely to be a mix of recently-acquired left-hander Alex Wood and right-handers Tanner Roark, Luis Castillo, Anthony DeSclafani, and Tyler Mahle, among several others. Despite Gray’s struggle to remain productive on the mound — he’s three years removed from his only All-Star campaign and turned in a disappointing 4.90 ERA and 2.16 SO/BB rate in 2018 — he might yet help stabilize a team that trotted out the fifth-worst rotation in the majors last season. If, on the other hand, the veteran righty finds the hitter-friendly confines of Great American Ball Park a little too unforgiving this year, the Reds can take some comfort in the fact that he’s due to enter free agency in 2020.