Joel Pineiro did not pitch last season and was last seen in the Majors in 2011, but the right-hander is on the comeback trail. MLB.com’s Jesse Sanchez reports that Pineiro has been pitching in Puerto Rico during the off-season and he’ll make a start against a Cuban team on Tuesday.
“I have had 11 years in the big leagues, so I’m not complaining, but I’m not ready to shut it down,” he said. “I’m 35 and I told my wife this would be my last real push at it. I have four kids, my oldest is in middle school, but I still have the desire and love for the game.”
Pineiro is now 35 years old and struggled to miss bats in his last stint in the Majors in 2011 with the Angels. However, he had two decent seasons prior to that, and it wouldn’t be unheard of if he came back with a little left in the tank. In what seems to be the year of the comeback — Mark Mulder, for example, is attempting a comeback with the Angels after a five-year layoff — now is as good a time as ever for Pineiro to revive his playing career.
The Reds have sent second baseman Scooter Gennett in for an MRI exam after he was forced to make an early departure from Friday’s 6-4 loss to the Brewers. The exact nature of the injury has yet to be reported, but starting pitcher Robert Stephenson said Gennett may have hurt himself after he “rolled weird” while trying to rein in a ground ball. He appeared to be grabbing at his right thigh/groin area immediately afterward and was helped off the field.
Following the incident, the 28-year-old was swiftly replaced by veteran infielder Carlos Rivero, who went hitless as he finished out the game. Though Gennett went 0-for-1 in his lone at-bat on Friday, he’s been tearing through the Cactus League competition this spring with a .351/.405/.486 batting line in 42 plate appearances so far.
The extent of Gennett’s injuries have not been disclosed — and may still be unknown to the team as well — but any significant setback would undoubtedly throw a wrench in the Reds’ plans this season, as he was the presumed starter at the keystone after turning in his first All-Star worthy performance in 2018. Although they have a promising alternative in top infield/outfield prospect Nick Senzel, the 23-year-old has not seen any time at second base this year and was recently reassigned to Triple-A Louisville to start the 2019 season.