Mark Mulder credits Paco Rodriguez for spurring his comeback attempt

8 Comments

MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez has a wonderful piece up in which he details Mark Mulder’s attempt to make a comeback in 2014 after nearly six years since he last pitched in the Majors. The whole story borders on too improbable to believe, but perhaps the most interesting part of the story is how the comeback attempt was conceived:

Mulder calls his decision to pitch again “a flat-out fluke.” Some may call it divine intervention.

It happened on a random October night in the living room of his Phoenix home, when Mulder watched Dodgers reliever Paco Rodriguez pitch, acted out what it would feel like to separate his hands much higher upon his delivery, and came away intrigued.

A couple nights later, he grabbed a rubber baseball, went out to his backyard, handed his wife a cell phone and had her record footage of him repeatedly throwing pitches against the wall.

“And I was amazed that my arm was working the right way,” Mulder said. “I never gave it a thought of coming back before then — furthest thing from my mind, to be honest with you.”

If Mulder makes the Angels’ 25-man roster out of spring training, he will earn $1 million and could earn as much as $6 million in incentives. It appeared that his start on July 9, 2008 at Citizens Bank Park would be the final start of the lefty’s career. After striking out Jimmy Rollins on eight pitches, he issued back-to-back four-pitch walks to Shane Victorino and Chase Utley before walking off the field.

Since then, he hasn’t appeared in the Minors or in an independent league. Instead, he tried his hand at professional golf and became an analyst for ESPN, content to move on from his playing career. Few would have believed Mulder would attempt to reinvent himself for a comeback at the age of 36 in 2014.

Cardinals shut down Carlos Martínez for two weeks due to shoulder issue

Dilip Vishwanat/Getty Images
3 Comments

MLB.com’s Jenifer Langosh reports that the Cardinals are shutting down pitcher Carlos Martínez from throwing for two weeks because his shoulder strength isn’t where it should have been at this point. Langosch added that an MRI showed no structural damage in Martínez’s right shoulder.

Interestingly, president of baseball operations John Mozeliak didn’t sound too happy with Martínez offseason training regimen. Per Mark Saxon of The Athletic, Mozeliak said, “Obviously, there’s a history with Carlos’ shoulder and it would be probably in everybody’s best interest if he maintained a constant or perpetual approach to that program.”

Martínez, 27, battled oblique and shoulder injuries last year. He accrued just 118 2/3 innings, making just 18 starts. He was moved to the bullpen when he returned from the disabled list in August and finished out the season in that role. Still, Martínez managed a 3.11 ERA with 117 strikeouts and 60 walks.

Langosch reported last week that the Cardinals were considering using Martínez in relief again in 2019. The latest news may push the Cardinals to indeed use Martínez out of the bullpen once again. He will be reevaluated in early March, but there is a chance he won’t be ready for Opening Day.