Report: Alex Rodriguez has discussed accepting a reduced suspension

82 Comments

The Baseball Hall of Fame vote is over and done with, but at least we still have the continuing saga of Alex Rodriguez to talk about.

With arbitrator Fredric Horowitz expected to making a ruling on Alex Rodriguez’s 211-game suspension any day now — in fact, a decision could come down as soon as tomorrow — Wallace Matthews of ESPN New York hears from a source “in A-Rod’s camp” that the embattled slugger has discussed the possibility of accepting a reduced suspension rather than continue his fight against MLB in court:

According to the source, a suspension longer than 100 games will likely cause Rodriguez and his attorneys to pursue a temporary restraining order against Horowitz’s ruling in federal court.

If he is given a shorter suspension, however, “then Alex will have some things to think about,” the source told ESPNNewYork.com.

According to the source, who has been privy to some internal discussions in the Rodriguez camp, the player is weighing the financial implications of continuing to fight this battle versus accepting a suspension that will allow him to take the field sometime in the second half of the coming season.

Taking his battle into the courtroom will cost Rodriguez “at least $10 million, with no guarantee of winning,” said the source, while a 100-game ban would cost him $15,425,000 of his scheduled $25 million salary for 2014.

This is quite a contrast to what we heard from Rodriguez after he stormed out of his arbitration hearing back in November, as he vowed that he “shouldn’t have to serve one inning.” However, the heavy cost of continuing the fight with no guarantee of victory apparently has him reconsidering things.

“It’s not just a matter of money,” the source told Matthews. “It’s also about the mental anguish of going through this and not knowing if or when you’re going to play again. Alex might decide to take his medicine and move on.”

Marcell Ozuna scratched from Cardinals lineup because he overslept

Dilip Vishwanat/Getty Images
6 Comments

Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that Cardinals outfielder Marcell Ozuna was scratched from Wednesday afternoon’s starting lineup because he overslept and missed the scheduled report time to the ballpark. Ozuna appeared in the on-deck circle late in the game but didn’t get a chance to pinch-hit as the Cardinals lost 5-2 to the Royals in 10 innings. The lowly Royals took two of three in the series.

The Cardinals acquired Ozuna from the Marlins back in December. He hasn’t hit much for the Cardinals thus far, batting .253/.295/.331 with three home runs and 22 RBI in 190 plate appearances. He was an All-Star last year, finishing with a .312 average and a .924 OPS along with 37 homers and 124 RBI.

It’s amusing reading some of the replies to Goold’s tweet. More than a handful of Cardinals fans are upset with Ozuna for oversleeping. Who among us has not overslept for school or work? Of course, a lot of the antipathy has to do with Ozuna’s lack of hitting. If he had a .900 OPS, it would be a lot easier for fans to forgive him.