Legendary Pictures’ Thomas Tull — the Producer of “42” — named to the Hall of Fame Board of Directors

15 Comments

Thomas Tull, the chairman and CEO of Legendary Entertainment — which has produced countless movies including Pacific Rim, The Dark KnightThe Hangover movies, Watchmen300, Inception, Clash of the Titans, Man of Steel and The Town — has been elected to the Board of Directors for the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum, it was announced today.

Of course, Tull’s place on the board does not come by virtue of his work on “Pacific Rim.” It comes by virtue of a little baseball flick they put out last April called 42. It was quite a good one. His reverence for baseball history as shown in 42 — and his connections in the motion picture and entertainment world, obviously — will likely serve the Hall of Fame well.

The rest of the board: Chairman Jane Forbes Clark, whose grandfather, Stephen C. Clark, founded the Hall of Fame, Vice Chairman Joe Morgan; Hall of Fame players Phil Niekro, Brooks Robinson, Frank Robinson and Tom Seaver; Major League Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig; major league owners Bill DeWitt Jr. (St. Louis), David Glass (Kansas City) and Jerry Reinsdorf (Chicago White Sox); former MLB President Paul Beeston; minor league owner Bill Gladstone (Tri-City Valley Cats), long-time sports executivs Dr. Harvey Schiller, Kevin Moore, president of the Clark Estates, Inc. and former Hall of Fame Chairman Ed Stack.

With Tull on the board, however, I can now put my great two loves together — Batman and baseball — and ask him (a) why the BBWAA gets to vote for the Hall of Fame; and (b) what in the hell was everyone thinking when they made “Dark Knight Rises?”

Rafael Devers won’t visit White House with Red Sox

Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images
26 Comments

The World Series champion Red Sox are scheduled to visit President Trump in the White House on February 15. Some have speculated that manager Álex Cora, who is from Puerto Rico and has been critical of Trump and has been a big factor in Hurricane Maria relief efforts, might not go as a form of protest. Thus far, nothing concrete has been reported on that front.

However, third baseman Rafael Devers says he isn’t going to join the Red Sox on their visit to the White House, Evan Drellich of NBC Sports Boston reports. Devers would prefer to focus on baseball, as the Red Sox open spring training on February 13 and position players have to report on February 17. Per Chris Mason, Devers also said via a translator, “The opportunity was presented and I just wasn’t compelled to go.”

Devers hails from the Dominican Republic and he, like many of Major League Baseball’s foreign-born player base, might not be happy about Trump’s immigration policies. Understandably, he is being tight-lipped about his motivation, but it wouldn’t be surprising if Devers is making a silent protest by choosing not to attend. He is thus far the only member of the team to bow out.

Devers, 22, hit .240/.298/.433 with 21 home runs, 66 RBI, and 59 runs scored in 490 plate appearances last season.

Last year, when the Astros visited Trump at the White House, they did so without Carlos Correa and Carlos Beltrán. Both are from Puerto Rico. It is certainly not unprecedented for individual players to opt out of the White House visit.

No word yet on what food will be served during Boston’s trip to the nation’s capital, but the smart money is on hamberders.