Nelson Cruz is still a free agent and still talking to the Rangers about potentially re-signing, but both Cruz and general manager Jon Daniels have made a reunion sound highly unlikely.
Here’s what Cruz told Jeff Wilson of the Forth Worth Star Telegram:
It’s been tough, but I understand it’s part of the process. Hopefully, we’ll work something out. It’s something that’s a fit for me and my family. We’ve talked. They say that they want me, but it’s a business.
According to Wilson the Rangers were hoping to get Cruz to re-sign for two years plus a third-year option, but it’s looking like he has four-year and maybe even five-year deals on the table elsewhere. As a good but not great 33-year-old corner outfielder it’s tough to blame the Rangers for avoiding a huge commitment, especially since they’d get draft pick compensation if he signs with another team.
The Phillies announced that they’ve optioned right-hander Hector Neris to Triple-A Lehigh Valley.
Nerris, who saved 26 games as the Phillies closer in 2017 and ten games in that role this year, has struggled this year, posting a 6.00 ERA in 30 appearances. While his strikeout and walk rates aren’t too far off what he was doing last year his hit rate has spiked and he’s currently allowing 10.3 safeties per nine. The wheels have come off of late, as he has allowed nine runs on 15 hits — five of them homers — over his last eight innings of work. Yesterday he allowed four runs in the ninth inning of a game the Phillies had led by five.
It was clear that Gabe Kapler had lost faith in Neris as a result, using him almost exclusively in low-leverage situations. That changed on Saturday, as Kapler used him in a save situation and said after the game that they were easing him back into his role. That plan obviously changed after yesterday’s meltdown.
Seranthony Dominguez had been getting the call in save situations. He’ll get them more now.