Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg”

62 Comments

Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times caused a bit of a stir after publishing a scathing takedown of the culture within the Mariners’ front office, quoting various former employees. Among them were ex-manager Eric Wedge and former special assistant to the GM Tony Blengino.

In the report, Baker writes that Blengino prepared a job application package for then-GM-hopeful Jack Zduriencik painting the man as a “dual threat” capable of utilizing both scouting and statistical analysis. Blengino, however, told Baker: “Jack never has understood one iota about statistical analysis. To this day, he evaluates hitters by homers, RBI and batting average and pitchers by wins and ERA.” According to Baker’s article, Zduriencik reduced Blengino’s role within the organization more and more before ultimately getting rid of him back in August. “Jack tried to destroy me,” Blengino said.

Jim Duquette of MLB Network Radio recently tweeted this, adding yet more intrigue:

If misleading resumes, bitter office politics, and a complete lack of organizational direction and leadership are “just the tip of the iceberg”, one has to wonder what lies beneath the surface.

Update: Benny Heis from MLB Network Radio linked me to the audio of Blengino’s interview on Twitter. Click here to listen to it.

Rafael Devers won’t visit White House with Red Sox

Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images
1 Comment

The World Series champion Red Sox are scheduled to visit President Trump in the White House on February 15. Some have speculated that manager Álex Cora, who is from Puerto Rico and has been critical of Trump and has been a big factor in Hurricane Maria relief efforts, might not go as a form of protest. Thus far, nothing concrete has been reported on that front.

However, third baseman Rafael Devers says he isn’t going to join the Red Sox on their visit to the White House, Evan Drellich of NBC Sports Boston reports. Devers would prefer to focus on baseball, as the Red Sox open spring training on February 13 and position players have to report on February 17. Per Chris Mason, Devers also said via a translator, “The opportunity was presented and I just wasn’t compelled to go.”

Devers hails from the Dominican Republic and he, like many of Major League Baseball’s foreign-born player base, might not be happy about Trump’s immigration policies. Understandably, he is being tight-lipped about his motivation, but it wouldn’t be surprising if Devers is making a silent protest by choosing not to attend. He is thus far the only member of the team to bow out.

Devers, 22, hit .240/.298/.433 with 21 home runs, 66 RBI, and 59 runs scored in 490 plate appearances last season.

Last year, when the Astros visited Trump at the White House, they did so without Carlos Correa and Carlos Beltrán. Both are from Puerto Rico. It is certainly not unprecedented for individual players to opt out of the White House visit.

No word yet on what food will be served during Boston’s trip to the nation’s capital, but the smart money is on hamberders.