Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox

56 Comments

It was reported two weeks ago that the Red Sox had checked in on the availability of Dodgers outfielder Matt Kemp and Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reports that he remains “in play” as a potential trade target for Boston.

A potential match makes sense on paper, as the Dodgers have a surplus of outfielders and the Red Sox might not be ready to hand a starting job to Jackie Bradley, Jr. following the departure of Jacoby Ellsbury. Cafardo hears that the Dodgers would be willing to absorb some of the six years and $128 million remaining on Kemp’s contract in the right deal. Kemp is coming off two injury-plagued years, so the big question is how much would be enough to get the Red Sox interested.

Kemp’s agent, Dave Stewart, told Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston that he has discussed the possibility of a trade to the Red Sox with his client. His comments were pretty interesting.

“Boston is a good place,” said Stewart, a message 180 degrees removed from what Kemp’s teammate, Crawford, said repeatedly after being traded by the Sox in 2012. “It’s a good city to play in, especially when they’re winning championships.

“I’m 56 years old, and people are still buying me dinner there, and I played for the other team. I told Matt about the city. The key to playing in the city is to perform. Compete, play good-quality baseball, don’t dog it. If you don’t perform, nobody’s going to like it.”

Stewart said he believes Kemp would have no reservations about playing for the Red Sox. “And the opportunity to play with Big Papi, he’d love to play with him, learn from him.”

Stewart isn’t sitting in on trade discussions, so he’s just speculating like the rest of us. Still, he has a “strong feeling that something could happen” at next week’s Winter Meetings. Kemp’s contract does not include a no-trade clause, so the Dodgers would not need him to sign off on a deal.

Royals acquire Brian Goodwin from Nationals

Brian Goodwin
Getty Images
Leave a comment

The Royals have acquired outfielder Brian Goodwin from the Nationals, the teams announced Sunday. The Nationals received minor league right-handed reliever Jacob Condra-Bogan in the deal.

Goodwin, 27, was working through his third campaign with the Nationals in 2018. He saw limited playing time in the outfield (mostly due to the trifecta of talent the club already had in Bryce Harper, Adam Eaton, and Juan Soto), and finished the first half of the season with a .200/.321/.354 batting line, three home runs, three stolen bases and a .674 OPS in just 79 plate appearances. The Royals, who appear thin on compelling center field options at the moment, are expected to utilize him on a more frequent basis once he’s added to the active roster.

The 23-year-old Condra-Bogan has yet to break into the majors with any team so far. He got his start in pro ball in 2017 with the independent Washington WildThings of the Frontier League and issued three runs, three walks and 15 strikeouts over 15 1/3 innings before signing on with the Royals as a free agent. This season, he pitched to an impressive 2.08 ERA, 0.7 BB/9 and 13.5 SO/9 through 26 innings in Single-A Lexington before getting transferred to High-A Wilmington for a single appearance. The Nationals have not announced where he’ll be assigned for the remainder of 2018.