Phillies re-sign Carlos Ruiz to three-year contract

40 Comments

General manager Ruben Amaro Jr. made it clear that the Phillies were prepared to move on to other catching options if Carlos Ruiz wanted to take his time making a decision, but that won’t be necessary as Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that Ruiz is re-signing with Philadelphia.

Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer reports that it’s a three-year, $26 million contract, which is the type of commitment not often made to soon-to-be 35-year-old catchers coming off down seasons.

Ruiz was heavily linked to the Rockies right away this offseason and reports last week had him being offered at least $20 million over two years by some team. Troy Renck of the Denver Post says that team wasn’t the Rockies, who apparently offered Ruiz a two-year, $15 million deal with a 2016 option.

Ruiz, who’s spent his entire eight-season career with the Phillies, sat out the first 25 games on suspension this year and then hit .268 with five homers and a .688 OPS for his worst production since 2008. He did, however, hit well during the final two months.

UPDATE: Gelb says the three-year deal also includes a fourth-year team option for 2017, when Ruiz will be 38 years old.

UPDATE #2: Ruiz’s contract includes $500,000 bonuses for each season if he starts 125 or more games at catcher. His career-high? 113.

Rafael Devers won’t visit White House with Red Sox

Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images
19 Comments

The World Series champion Red Sox are scheduled to visit President Trump in the White House on February 15. Some have speculated that manager Álex Cora, who is from Puerto Rico and has been critical of Trump and has been a big factor in Hurricane Maria relief efforts, might not go as a form of protest. Thus far, nothing concrete has been reported on that front.

However, third baseman Rafael Devers says he isn’t going to join the Red Sox on their visit to the White House, Evan Drellich of NBC Sports Boston reports. Devers would prefer to focus on baseball, as the Red Sox open spring training on February 13 and position players have to report on February 17. Per Chris Mason, Devers also said via a translator, “The opportunity was presented and I just wasn’t compelled to go.”

Devers hails from the Dominican Republic and he, like many of Major League Baseball’s foreign-born player base, might not be happy about Trump’s immigration policies. Understandably, he is being tight-lipped about his motivation, but it wouldn’t be surprising if Devers is making a silent protest by choosing not to attend. He is thus far the only member of the team to bow out.

Devers, 22, hit .240/.298/.433 with 21 home runs, 66 RBI, and 59 runs scored in 490 plate appearances last season.

Last year, when the Astros visited Trump at the White House, they did so without Carlos Correa and Carlos Beltrán. Both are from Puerto Rico. It is certainly not unprecedented for individual players to opt out of the White House visit.

No word yet on what food will be served during Boston’s trip to the nation’s capital, but the smart money is on hamberders.