MLB Network to broadcast several Arizona Fall League Games — with instant replay

If you’re curious about Arizona Fall League ball, or if you want to see how the testing of Major League Baseball’s new instant replay system is going, you probably want to watch MLB Network a fair amount in November.

That’s because MLB Network will televise six Arizona Fall League games this month,  including the five games from November 5-9 that will feature testing of Major League Baseball’s new review procedures for expanded instant replay. The games:

• Tuesday, November 5, 9:00 p.m. ET: Mesa Solar Sox at Salt River Rafters
  • Wednesday, November 6, 9:00 p.m. ET: Salt River Rafters at Scottsdale Scorpions
  • Thursday, November 7, 9:00 p.m. ET: Scottsdale Scorpions at Salt River Rafters
  • Friday, November 8, 9:00 p.m. ET: Glendale Desert Dogs at Scottsdale Scorpions
  • Saturday, November 9, 8:00 p.m. ET: Peoria Javelinas at Salt River Rafters
  • Saturday, November 16, 3:00 p.m. ET: Arizona Fall League Championship Game

Even if they bollocks-up the replay, AFL games are cool, so they’re worth watching regardless.

Frontier League team names itself the “Florence Y’alls”

Getty Images

If you’ve ever found yourself on I-75/71 in Kentucky, just over the river from Cincinnati, you’ve no doubt noticed the water tower for the city of Florence, Kentucky.  Its top is painted with red and white stripes and, instead of featuring the town’s name or the name of the local water concern, it says, “Florence, Y’all.”

The water tower is a nice welcome to Dixie, even if Kentucky isn’t really Dixie. The point is that, if you’re from Ohio or Michigan or someplace and you see it, you know you’re on your way to Lexington or Louisville, or points south. To warmer climes, southern charm and hospitality and, hopefully, a nice little trip.

The folks who support the Frontier League baseball team in Florence no doubt realize the kind of chatter that surrounds that water tower, because they just voted to rename their team:

And they added a handy dandy explainer:

I like it. And I like the idea of naming a baseball team after a notable and much talked-about roadside sign. Which is to say that, if I ever get a baseball team here in Ohio, I’m also gonna name it after a famous sign you see while driving on the interstate not too far from me:

Yeah, that’s a thing. And my baseball team would not even be the first sports thing named after it.

Alternatively, I could put one closer to my house and call it the “ODOT SUCKS.” May be better.

Viva local culture.