MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro reports that the Marlins are planning to shut down rookie phenom Jose Fernandez after he makes his next two starts spanning 12 innings or fewer. The 20-year-old Fernandez was the tough-luck loser last night against the Braves, earning a loss despite allowing two runs over six innings of work while striking out eight.
Manager Mike Redmond told the press that Fernandez will not pitch on the road. As a result, his scheduled start against the Cubs on Wednesday has been pushed back to Friday against the Nationals.
More from Redmond on the innings limit:
“That was the range as an organization that we felt comfortable leaving him around, 150-170, depending on how many starts he did,” Redmond said. “It was kind of the unknown at the beginning of the season, how he would do, and how he would perform. We were looking at ways to protect him, based on how many innings he had gone before. That’s the number we came up with.”
Overall, Fernandez is 10-6 with a 2.33 ERA in 158.2 innings this season. He is just behind Matt Harvey for the league lead in strikeout rate, trailing the Mets right-hander 27.7 percent to 25.5 percent. Fernandez’s biggest competition for the National League Rookie of the Year award is Dodgers outfielder Yasiel Puig.
Bad news for the Cubs’ Yu Darvish: The right-hander is headed back to the disabled list with right triceps tendinitis, the team announced Saturday. It’s the second such assignment for Darvish this season, but the first time he’s been sidelined with arm issues. Neither the severity of his injury nor a concrete timeframe for his recovery has been revealed yet, but the move is retroactive to May 23 and will allow him to come off the DL by June 2, assuming all goes well.
Prior to the injury, Darvish went 1-3 in eight starts with a 4.95 ERA, 4.7 BB/9 and 11.0 SO/9 through 40 innings. Needless to say, these aren’t the kind of results the Cubs were hoping to see after inking the righty to a six-year, $126 million contract back in February, though the circumstances affecting his performances appear to have largely been out of his control. He missed a start in early May after coming down with the flu and has struggled to pitch beyond the fifth inning in five of his eight starts to date.
The Cubs recalled left-hander Randy Rosario from Triple-A Iowa in a corresponding move. Rosario has yet to amass more than five career innings in the majors, but has impressed at Triple-A so far this year: he maintained an 0.97 ERA, 2.8 BB/9 and 6.1 SO/9 through 19 1/3 innings in 2018. As for Darvish’s next scheduled turn in the rotation, Tyler Chatwood is lined up to take the mound when the Cubs face off against the Giants in the series finale on Sunday. A starter for Monday night’s game has yet to be determined.