Brandon Morrow has already been ruled out for the rest of the season due to a entrapped radial nerve in his right forearm, but there’s still a chance that he’ll require surgery.
Morrow hasn’t pitched for the Blue Jays since May 28 due to the injury and was advised last month to shut things down for six weeks. He’s halfway through that timetable right now and tells Evan Peaslee of MLB.com that a determination on surgery will be made after he resumes throwing.
“To test it, I need to be off the mound throwing bullpens at 100 percent effort level,” Morrow said. “I can’t go through and baby it. I need to know if it’s going to be good or not.”
If deemed necessary, surgery would take place in October and carries an estimated recovery time of three months. This would give Morrow a chance to be ready for spring training.
After posting a 2.96 ERA over 21 starts last season, Morrow struggled to the tune of a 5.63 ERA in 10 starts this year. He has never thrown more than 179 1/3 innings in a season. The 29-year-old is owed $8 million next season while his contract includes $10 million club option or $1 million buyout for 2015.
The Reds have sent second baseman Scooter Gennett in for an MRI exam after he was forced to make an early departure from Friday’s 6-4 loss to the Brewers. The exact nature of the injury has yet to be reported, but starting pitcher Robert Stephenson said Gennett may have hurt himself after he “rolled weird” while trying to rein in a ground ball. He appeared to be grabbing at his right thigh/groin area immediately afterward and was helped off the field.
Following the incident, the 28-year-old was swiftly replaced by veteran infielder Carlos Rivero, who went hitless as he finished out the game. Though Gennett went 0-for-1 in his lone at-bat on Friday, he’s been tearing through the Cactus League competition this spring with a .351/.405/.486 batting line in 42 plate appearances so far.
The extent of Gennett’s injuries have not been disclosed — and may still be unknown to the team as well — but any significant setback would undoubtedly throw a wrench in the Reds’ plans this season, as he was the presumed starter at the keystone after turning in his first All-Star worthy performance in 2018. Although they have a promising alternative in top infield/outfield prospect Nick Senzel, the 23-year-old has not seen any time at second base this year and was recently reassigned to Triple-A Louisville to start the 2019 season.