A source told Outside the Lines that Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez will be suspended by Major League Baseball on Monday. It is expected that Rodriguez will be suspended through the 2014 season. Rodriguez just had his 38th birthday, so if he is to return after his suspension, he would be 40 years old when the 2015 season ends.
An important detail:
Rodriguez has already stated that he plans to appeal any suspension.
Speaking to the media after last night’s rehab game with the Trenton Thunder, Rodriguez said he felt he could play another five years. He currently has 647 career home runs to his name, 13 shy of tying Willie Mays in fourth place on the all-time list. Assuming relatively good health, Rodriguez likely would have easily moved atop Mays in 2014.
Outside the Lines also learned that up to 12 additional players will receive 50-game suspensions without appeal.
Pirates outfielder Starling Marte is back in the lineup after the team reinstated him from the 10-day disabled list on Saturday. Marte served the bare minimum on the DL after making a rapid recovery from the right oblique strain that sidelined him several weeks ago.
Prior to landing on the disabled list, the 29-year-old outfielder was off to a strong start. He slashed a robust .308/.366/.503 with six home runs, 10 stolen bases and an .869 OPS in 175 plate appearances with the team. This is the first time he’s dealt with an oblique issue, and the first DL stint he’s served since he suffered a bout of back tightness in 2016. While he has yet to prove he can bounce back to his pre-injury production levels, his quick recovery bodes well for a successful return to major-league play.
In a corresponding move, outfielder Jose Osuna was optioned to Triple-A Indianapolis. The move came as somewhat of a surprise, given that the Pirates elected to retain top prospect outfielder Austin Meadows rather than the more established Osuna. Meadows was recalled from Triple-A in the wake of Marte’s injury and has only played seven games at the major league level so far, but he’s already made a strong impression: he went 13-for-29 with three home runs, two stolen bases and five RBI since his call-up on May 18.