2:06 p.m. EDT update: Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News says the Yankees have been told that Young would accept a trade to New York. He’d be a safety net for the Yankees depending on what happens with Alex Rodriguez.
12:29 p.m. EDT update: ESPNBoston.com’s Gordon Edes was told it’s “doubtful” that the Red Sox will acquire Young.
Maybe it was the Jose Iglesias trade or maybe it was something he was open to all along, but Michael Young is now willing to waive his no-trade clause to go to Boston, FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal reports.
It was reported yesterday that Young was only willing to go back to Texas in a trade.
The 36-year-old Young homered last night and is batting .279/.345/.411 with eight homers and 34 RBI in 365 at-bats for the Phillies this year. He represents a safe third-base option for the Red Sox, but he’s one with a below average glove, limited power and a tendency to ground into double plays. In Xander Bogaerts and Will Middlebrooks, the Red Sox have alternatives with greater upside. Still, there might be something to be said for taking the sure thing.
The World Series champion Red Sox are scheduled to visit President Trump in the White House on February 15. Some have speculated that manager Álex Cora, who is from Puerto Rico and has been critical of Trump and has been a big factor in Hurricane Maria relief efforts, might not go as a form of protest. Thus far, nothing concrete has been reported on that front.
However, third baseman Rafael Devers says he isn’t going to join the Red Sox on their visit to the White House, Evan Drellich of NBC Sports Boston reports. Devers would prefer to focus on baseball, as the Red Sox open spring training on February 13 and position players have to report on February 17. Per Chris Mason, Devers also said via a translator, “The opportunity was presented and I just wasn’t compelled to go.”
Devers hails from the Dominican Republic and he, like many of Major League Baseball’s foreign-born player base, might not be happy about Trump’s immigration policies. Understandably, he is being tight-lipped about his motivation, but it wouldn’t be surprising if Devers is making a silent protest by choosing not to attend. He is thus far the only member of the team to bow out.
Devers, 22, hit .240/.298/.433 with 21 home runs, 66 RBI, and 59 runs scored in 490 plate appearances last season.
Last year, when the Astros visited Trump at the White House, they did so without Carlos Correa and Carlos Beltrán. Both are from Puerto Rico. It is certainly not unprecedented for individual players to opt out of the White House visit.
No word yet on what food will be served during Boston’s trip to the nation’s capital, but the smart money is on hamberders.