MLB commends Ryan Braun for taking responsibility. Which, OK. I guess he partially did.

47 Comments

Ryan Braun and Major League Baseball have both issued statements in light of this afternoon’s bombshell suspension. First Braun:

“As I have acknowledged in the past, I am not perfect.  I realize now that I have made some mistakes.  I am willing to accept the consequences of those actions.  This situation has taken a toll on me and my entire family, and it is has been a distraction to my teammates and the Brewers organization.  I am very grateful for the support I have received from players, ownership and the fans in Milwaukee and around the country.  Finally, I wish to apologize to anyone I may have disappointed – all of the baseball fans especially those in Milwaukee, the great Brewers organization, and my teammates.  I am glad to have this matter behind me once and for all, and I cannot wait to get back to the game I love.”

That’s nice. Although it doesn’t account for the statements he made last year in which he impugned the integrity — however obliquely — of the MLB contractor who was responsible for shipping his sample. Nor has he acknowledged that he lied in his public statements regarding the nature of his relationship with Anthony Bosch earlier this year when he said his legal team used him as a consultant.

But MLB seems willing to look past that and put the Braun chapter of this mess in the rear-view mirror:

“We commend Ryan Braun for taking responsibility for his past actions,” said Rob Manfred, Executive Vice President, Economics & League Affairs for Major League Baseball. “We all agree that it is in the best interests of the game to resolve this matter.  When Ryan returns, we look forward to him making positive contributions to Major League Baseball, both on and off the field.”

It seems that the evidence against Braun was pretty darn strong. And that Braun was one of the players Michael Weiner had in mind when he said last week that the MLBPA would be strongly counseling players against whom there was overwhelming evidence to not appeal.

Yu Darvish lands on 10-day disabled list again with triceps tendinitis

AP Images
1 Comment

Bad news for the Cubs’ Yu Darvish: The right-hander is headed back to the disabled list with right triceps tendinitis, the team announced Saturday. It’s the second such assignment for Darvish this season, but the first time he’s been sidelined with arm issues. Neither the severity of his injury nor a concrete timeframe for his recovery has been revealed yet, but the move is retroactive to May 23 and will allow him to come off the DL by June 2, assuming all goes well.

Prior to the injury, Darvish went 1-3 in eight starts with a 4.95 ERA, 4.7 BB/9 and 11.0 SO/9 through 40 innings. Needless to say, these aren’t the kind of results the Cubs were hoping to see after inking the righty to a six-year, $126 million contract back in February, though the circumstances affecting his performances appear to have largely been out of his control. He missed a start in early May after coming down with the flu and has struggled to pitch beyond the fifth inning in five of his eight starts to date.

The Cubs recalled left-hander Randy Rosario from Triple-A Iowa in a corresponding move. Rosario has yet to amass more than five career innings in the majors, but has impressed at Triple-A so far this year: he maintained an 0.97 ERA, 2.8 BB/9 and 6.1 SO/9 through 19 1/3 innings in 2018. As for Darvish’s next scheduled turn in the rotation, Tyler Chatwood is lined up to take the mound when the Cubs face off against the Giants in the series finale on Sunday. A starter for Monday night’s game has yet to be determined.