The Marlins have received offers from the Dodgers and Giants on Ricky Nolasco

3 Comments

Marlins starter Ricky Nolasco is putting up his best numbers since 2008. Through 18 starts, the right-hander has a 3.85 ERA and is averaging 3.6 strikeouts for every one walk, his highest rate since 2010. As the 30-year-old is a free agent after the season and the Marlins are headed nowhere, Nolasco was expected to be a hot commodity leading up to the July 31 trade deadline.

MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro reports that the Marlins have already received offers from both the Dodgers and the Giants.

At least two offers are on the table for Marlins right-hander Ricky Nolasco.

According to a league source familiar with the talks, the Dodgers are offering a pitching prospect and are also willing to assume the remaining nearly $5.7 million Nolasco will make this season.

The Giants are said to be the other club, offering two pitching prospects. But San Francisco is looking for Miami to assume at least a portion of what is left on the right-hander’s contract.

Though both teams are below .500, the 40-44 Dodgers are only 3.5 games out of first place in the NL West while the 39-45 Giants are 4.5 games out, so a mid-season addition such as Nolasco could be just what the doctor ordered.

Red Sox employees “livid” over team pay cut plan

Getty Images
15 Comments

Even Drellich of The Athletic reports that the Boston Red Sox are cutting the pay of team employees. Those cuts, which began to be communicated last night, apply to all employees making $50,000 or more. They are tiered cuts, with people making $50-99,000 seeing salary cut by 20%, those making $100k-$499,000 seeing $25% cuts and those making $500,000 or more getting 30% cuts.

Drellich reported that a Red Sox employee told him that “people are livid” over the fact that those making $100K are being treated the same way as those making $500K. And, yes, that does seem to be a pretty wide spread for similar pay cuts. One would think that a team with as many analytically-oriented people on staff could perhaps break things down a bit more granularly.

Notable in all of this that the same folks who own the Red Sox — Fenway Sports Group — own Liverpool FC of the English Premier League, and that just last month Liverpool’s pay cut/employee furlough policies proved so unpopular that they led to a backlash and a subsequent reversal by the club. That came after intense criticism from Liverpool fan groups and local politicians. Sox owner John Henry must be confident that no such backlash will happen in Boston.

As we noted yesterday, The Kansas City Royals, who are not as financially successful as the Boston Red Sox, have not furloughed employees or cut pay as a result of baseball’s shutdown in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic. Perhaps someone in Boston could call the Royals and ask them how they managed that.