Report: Biogenesis employee demanding $1 million for his documents

33 Comments

Well, this has devolved into farce. Porter Fischer, the ex-Biogenesis employee who claims to have a so-called “smoking gun” regarding Alex Rodriguez, Ryan Braun and the rest of the Biogenesis players, has demanded $1 million from Major League Baseball for his cooperation. From TMZ:

Alex Rodriguez’ career could hang in the balance of a 7-figure check — because sources tell TMZ, the whistleblower who allegedly has proof A-Rod and other players bought steroids wants at least a million bucks for his info … Fischer’s attorney tells TMZ, his client discussed a possible deal with MLB … in which the league would acquire the drug-purchasing records of more than 100 MLB players (including A-Rod and Ryan Braun) — but it’s gonna cost ’em.

TMZ says MLB has not made an offer. Given that this Fischer dude appears to be something of [searches for a polite word] an eccentric, one wonders whether baseball is willing to play ball with him.  Of course, if he does cooperate with MLB the first question is going to be whether Major League Baseball made him rich in order to offer evidence against players, so that’s fun too.

UPDATE: Just occurred to me: Major League Baseball has a lawsuit pending against Biogenesis and Anthony Bosch. Fischer was an employee and now claims to have all the information about the operation. Why doesn’t MLB simply amend the lawsuit to add Fischer and then obtain the documents in discovery? That would not cost $1 million. That would cost virtually nothing.  Could it be that, perhaps, MLB realizes its lawsuit is baloney? Or, perhaps, that Fischer actually doesn’t know anything and thus is not a proper party? In which case his status as the Whistleblower-in-Chief/star witness is kinda silly?

Which is it, Mr. Selig?

Cardinals-White Sox opener pushed back to Saturday

Getty Images
Leave a comment

CHICAGO — St. Louis’ series opener against the Chicago White Sox has been postponed to Saturday, giving the Cardinals an extra day to recover from a COVID-19 outbreak.

The Cardinals, who haven’t played since July 29, were set to resume their season Friday night in Chicago. But the series opener was pushed back to a straight doubleheader on Saturday afternoon, the beginning of an extended stay in the Windy City for the Cards.

There was no word from Major League Baseball on the postponement, but John Mozeliak, the president of baseball operations for the Cardinals, confirmed the move in a conference call with reporters. Mozeliak also said the team is going to play doubleheaders on Monday and Wednesday against the Cubs at Wrigley Field after the NL Central rivals had a series postponed last weekend.

Two people with direct knowledge of the situation also confirmed the postponement of the series opener against the White Sox. The people spoke Thursday on condition of anonymity because MLB had not announced the schedule change.

The Cardinals’ season has been derailed by the coronavirus. Star catcher Yadier Molina and infielder Paul DeJong are among the players who have tested positive.

St. Louis, the defending NL Central champions, has played just five games, winning two. It seems unlikely that it will be able to make up every one of its games that have been postponed during the pandemic-delayed season.

While announcing Sunday night that St. Louis’ series against Pittsburgh had been postponed, MLB said the league and the Cardinals believed it was “prudent to conduct additional testing while players and staff are quarantined before the team returns to play.”