Brandon Beachy will not start on Tuesday, after all

3 Comments

The Braves had been internally debating for a while what to do when Brandon Beachy is activated from the disabled list. Would they use the 26-man rule to use him for Tuesday’s double-header against the Mets, and then figure it out in a week? Would they move Kris Medlen to the bullpen? Or attempt to trade either Tim Hudson or Paul Maholm? It is no longer an issue as Beachy has been scratched from that Tuesday start after a disappointing performance in his latest rehab start.

David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution described Beachy’s concerning performance:

Beachy struggled with his command in three innings for Triple-A Gwinnett Thursday night in Rochester, walking four and allowing three runs (two earned) while throwing only 38 strikes in 69 pitches.

[…]

The Braves had planned to back Beachy down Thursday night for the final scheduled outing of his minor league rehabilitation assignment, with a limit of 80-85 pitches. So the fact that he only threw 69 pitches over three innings wasn’t a big issue. But he pitched behind for much of the outing and needed 53 pitches to get through the first two innings.

Braves GM Frank Wren wouldn’t reveal the team’s plan for Tuesday’s double-header with the Mets now that Beachy is a no-go. O’Brien speculates reliever Alex Wood could fill in for a spot start, but Wren had previously said they wouldn’t let him get to 100 pitches, meaning it would be a taxing day for the bullpen.

Report: Mariners CEO John Stanton denies allegations made by Dr. Lorena Martin

Dr. Lorena Martin
AP Images
1 Comment

Last month, Mariners former director of high performance, Dr. Lorena Martin, was dismissed from the club after the first year of her three-year contract. She made serious allegations of racism and sexism against the Mariners in the days that followed, all of which have been the subject of multiple investigations by the team itself as well as Major League Baseball. On Friday evening, Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic published an email that had purportedly been sent to Mariners staff members by CEO John Stanton.

The email itself was printed here in full (subscription required) and basically rehashes everything the Mariners said in an official statement on Monday: That the team continues to deny allegations of racist and sexist behavior by general manager Jerry Dipoto, manager Scott Servais, and farm director Andy McKay because they are “completely inconsistent with who they are and what the Seattle Mariners stand for.”

Stanton added that no one had stepped forward to corroborate Martin’s accusations so far, and also went out of his way to mention that he had never personally observed members of the Mariners personnel “making disparaging, racist or sexist comments” during two trips to the Dominican Republic. The email concluded with an invitation for other staff members to speak up if they had any differing experiences or concerns about the team.

According to multiple reports from the Seattle Times and Tacoma News Tribune, among other outlets, Martin has yet to reveal a number of incriminating emails she claimed to have in her possession, nor has any staff member publicly supported her previous statements on her wrongful termination or the toxic culture within the club. That doesn’t mean, however, that the allegations she made against the Mariners are false, just as Stanton’s claim that he never personally witnessed instances of racism and sexism within the organization doesn’t mean that racist and sexist statements and actions were never made. As Bill pointed out, Martin has likely burned all bridges within the organization and, more significantly, throughout the league as well. It stands to reason that others would feel hesitant to come forward in light of the harsh ramifications that typically await whistleblowers in this kind of situation.

We’ll update this story as it continues to develop.