My kids started their summer vacation on Friday. Two hours into their first day without school my son told me he was bored. After that, and my extended “you have no reason to be bored, there are kids all over the world who would love to have all of the things and advantages you’ve had” speech, I realized that my plan to take the kids to the pool on Saturday was going to appear as if I was caving in to his spoiled behavior. But I took them to the pool anyway, with a preface of “I was going to do this anyway, do NOT think that we’re going to the pool because you whined all day.” Which I’m sure he ignored.
It’s gonna be a long, long summer. Here’s what else happened this weekend:
- Great Moments in The Human Element.
- Stephen Strasburg got hurt.
- Bill pondered the Padres’ long-term plans.
- Domonic Brown continued his rampage.
- So too did Shelby Miller.
- Vernon Wells, meanwhile, has come crashing back to Earth.
- D.J. put Miguel Cabrera’s start into context.
- Anthony Rendon was promoted to Triple-A. Maybe if Danny Espinosa actually dies they will finally DL him and give Rendon a shot in the bigs.
- Bryce Harper was DL’d. He thinks it should have come sooner.
- Jon Rauch found a new home.
- Juan Francisco may find one soon too.
- Carl Crawford was placed on the shelf.
- An ugly incident at Camden Yards put a man in intensive care.
- The Indians offered an apology.
- Matt Williams and Jeff Samardzija exchanged words.
- Teams will be wearing ugly hats on the Fourth of July.
- The Rays are looking for good citizens.
- Grady Sizemore is giving it another try.
- Doc Gooden and Darryl Strawberry are not the best of friends.
- A Methodist minister blasts “God Bless America.”
- Yasiel Puig is coming.
- An umpire ejects Yadier Molina for no good reason.
- A National says his team has “played like crap.”
- Nice bat flip, Papi.
- Tim Lincecum could see himself coming out of the pen.
OK, since I wrote that opening paragraph I made my son clean the cats’ litter boxes. So I feel a bit more like a responsible parent.